TED演讲:探索世界最深洞穴(2)

From the entrance, this is nothing like a commercial cave.

从洞口看,这绝不像个商业旅游的山洞。

You're looking at Camp Two in a place called J2, not K2, but J2.

你看到的是二号营地,它搭在J2,不是K2(世界第二高峰),而是J2.

We're roughly two days from the entrance at that point.

在那里我们大约距出口两天路程。

And it's kind of like a high altitude mountaineering trip in reverse,

它就像一场反方向的高海拔登山之旅,

except that you're now running a string of these things down.

不同的是你用绳子往下走

The idea is to try to provide some measure of physical comfort while you're down there, otherwise in damp, moist, cold conditions in utterly dark places.

这是让人们在这种地下环境中稍微觉得舒服些,要不然周围就是完全潮湿,寒冷而且漆黑的地方了。

I should mention that everything you're seeing here, by the way,

我应该提一下,你在这儿看着的每一件东西,

is artificially illuminated at great effort.

都是费了很大劲儿人为照亮的。

Otherwise it is completely dark in these places.

否则,在这些地方全都是黑的。

The deeper you go, the more you run into a conflict with water.

你越深入,就越要费力气抵抗地下水问题。

It's basically like a tree collecting water coming down.

它基本上就像是一棵向下吸水的树。

And eventually you get to places where it is formidable and dangerous and unfortunately slides just don't do justice.

最终你会到达了一个可怕的危险的地方,不幸的是这些幻灯片并不能充分显示(这些地方有多么可怕)。

So I've got a very brief clip here that was taken in the late 1980s.

所以我找了一个1980年代末拍的小短片。

So descend into Huautla Plateau in Mexico.

这是在墨西哥瓦乌拉特高原。

Now I have to tell you that the techniques being shown here are obsolete and dangerous.

现在我要提醒你们这里所用的技术,已经过时而且危险。

We would not do this today unless we were doing it for film.

现今除非是为了拍电影,否则我们不会这样做。

Along that same line, I have to tell you that with the spate of Hollywood movies that came out last year,

同样地,我还要说我们在底下从未见过,

we have never seen monsters underground,

象去年新出的大量好莱坞电影中的怪兽,

at least the kind that eat you.

至少没见到吃人的怪兽。

If there is a monster underground,

如果有地下怪兽,

it is the crushing psychological remoteness that begins to hit every member of the team once you cross about three days inbound from the nearest entrance.

那一定是心中的能致命的孤寂,一旦你从最近的洞口深入三天,这种孤寂感就开始侵袭队中的成员。

Next year I'll be leading an international team to J2.

明年我要带领一支国际队伍去J2.

比尔斯通是一位非比寻常的探险家,他曾探究过地球最深的深渊。他要讨论他为寻找太空飞行新能源而开采月球冰层的努力,并想要开发一个自动机器人以研究木卫二号行星。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据