TED演讲之性别无限:出身决定命运?(6)
Well, just to close, I want to suggest to you
好,说到这里,我想提醒大家
that I've been talking a lot about the fathers.
我已经谈论了很多前人的事情
And I want to think about the possibilities
我还想考虑一下
of what democracy might look like, or might have looked like,
民主会是什么样子,或者是已经是什么样子的可能性
if we had more involved the mothers.
如果我们可以让更多的母亲参与进来
And I want to say something a little bit radical for a feminist,
我还想说对女权主义者有点激进的话
and that is that I think that there may be
那就是我认为
different kinds of insights
不同的人
that can come from different kinds of anatomies,
也许可以带来不同的的观察视角
particularly when we have people thinking in groups.
特别是当我们习惯于群体性思维的时候
Now for years, because I've been interested in intersex,
我已经对双性人感兴趣很多年了
I've also been interested in sex difference research.
也对性别差异也进行了多年的研究
And one of the things that I've been really interested in
我十分感兴趣的事情之一是
is looking at the differences between males and females
去观察世界范围内男性与女性之间
in terms of the way they think and operate in the world.
在思考问题和解决问题上的差别
And what we know from cross-cultural studies
我们从跨文化研究中得知
is that females, on average —
女性,平均的看——
not everyone, but on average —
当然不是每个人,而是平均的看——
are more inclined to be very attentive
更倾向于留意
to complex social relations
复杂的社会关系
and to taking care of people
同时更加关心、同情
who are basically vulnerable within the group.
人群中的弱势群体
And so if we think about that,
那么如果我们这么认为
we have an interesting situation on our hands.
我们发现一个有趣的情况
Years ago, when I was in graduate school,
数年前,当我读研究生的时候
one of my graduate advisers who knew I was interested in feminism —
我的一位指导教授知道我对女权运动很感兴趣——
I considered myself a feminist, as I still do —
我自认是女权主义者,一直是——
asked a really strange question.
他问了我一个很怪的问题
He said, "Tell me what's feminine about feminism."
他说:“告诉我女权主义女性化在哪里”
And I thought, "Well that's the dumbest question I've ever heard.
我想“恩……这是我听过的最让我哑口无言的问题
Feminism is all about undoing stereotypes about gender,
女权主义是所有消除陈腐性别观念的一切活动的统称,
so there's nothing feminine about feminism."
因此,女权主义不存在女性化”
But the more I thought about his question,
但是,进一步解读这个问题,
the more I thought there might be something feminine about feminism.
我想的更多的是,也许女权主义存在着一些女性化
That is to say, there might be something, on average,
也就是说,也许有一些,总的说来
different about female brains from male brains
女性的思维不同于男性的部分
that makes us more attentive
使得我们更加富有警惕性
to deeply complex social relationships
对于复杂的社会关系
and more attentive to taking care of the vulnerable.
并且更加注意关心那些弱势群体
So whereas the fathers were extremely attentive
但是前人们细心的
to figuring out how to protect individuals from the state,
指出如何保护个人不受国家的影响
it's possible that if we injected more mothers
如果我们在这个概念中注入如更多的母性
into this concept,
是可能的
what we would have is more of a concept
我们将拥有的要远多于一个概念
of, not just how to protect,
不仅仅是如何保护
but how to care for each other.
而是如何照顾彼此
And maybe that's where we need to go in the future,
也许这就是我们未来要走的路
when we take democracy beyond anatomy,
当我们抛开人种的分别来讲民主——
is to think less about the individual body,
也就是较少的考虑到人的个体
in terms of the identity,
关于人的身份特性,
and think more about those relationships.
而是更多的考虑人们之间的关系
So that as we the people try to create a more perfect union,
因此,当人们试图创造一个更加美好的联合体的时候
we're thinking about what we do for each other.
我们需要考虑的是我们为他人都做了什么
Thank you.
谢谢
演讲简介:
艾丽丝·德雷格尔和她的同伴一起从事于边缘解剖学,例如连体儿和双性人。根据她的观察,在其他的结构特征中,男性和女性的分界线是很模糊的。为我们带来了一个问题:为什么要让我们的生理特征决定我们的命运。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
微信:0012133598196