TED演讲之2.0版城市:4种声音影响我们的方式(1)

Over the next five minutes,

在接下来的5分钟里

my intention is to transform your relationship with sound.

我想把你们与声音的关系作个转变

Let me start with the observation that most of the sound around us is accidental,

首先,请允许我以这样的观察开始,我发现大多数围绕我们的声音是偶然性的。

and much of it is unpleasant.

并且许多声音也是不愉悦的。

We stand on street corners, shouting over noise like this,

我们站在街巷的角落,像这样盖过噪音来说话,

and pretending that it doesn't exist.

就当那噪音不存在一样。

Well, this habit of suppressing sound has meant that our

好,这样一种压制其他声音的习惯意味着我们

relationship with sound has become largely unconscious.

与声音的关系变得更无意识了

There are four major ways sound is affecting you all the time,

声音通过这样4种主要的方式一直影响着你们

and I'd like to raise them in your consciousness today.

而今天我想唤起你们对于声音的知觉。

First is physiological.

首先声音是生理的。

Sorry about that. I've just given you a shot of cortisol, your fight/flight hormone.

抱歉。我刚给了你们一记皮质醇(荷尔蒙)你们的的冲击,

Sounds are affecting your hormone secretions all the time,

这样的声音一直影响着你们的荷尔蒙分泌物,

but also your breathing, your heart rate — which I just also did —

但同时你们的呼吸,你们的心跳频率,就像我刚才那样

and your brainwaves.

还有你们的脑电波

It's not just unpleasant sounds like that that do it.

对它们而言这声音不仅仅是不愉悦。

This is surf.

这是拍岸浪花的声音

It has the frequency of roughly 12 cycles per minute.

它有着大约每分钟12转的频率

Most people find that very soothing,

许多人觉得那声音非常抚慰人心的,

and, interestingly, 12 cycles per minute

而,有趣的是,12转每分钟的频率

is roughly the frequency of the breathing of a sleeping human.

恰巧是一个沉睡着的人的呼吸频率,

There is a deep resonance with being at rest.

从而形成了这样一种与人类休息时的共鸣。

We also associate it with being stress-free

我们也将此与其他的状态联系起来:比如没有压力的时候,

and on holiday.

又如放假之时。

The second way in which sound affects you is psychological.

第二种声音影响你们方式是心理上的。

Music is the most powerful form of sound that we know

音乐是我们所知道的最能

that affects our emotional state.

影响着我们情绪的一种声音表现形式。

This is guaranteed to make most of you feel pretty sad

这样的声音一定会让你们都感到有些伤感

if I leave it on.

如果我一直放下去。

Music is not the only kind of sound, however, which affects your emotions.

然而,音乐并不是唯一的一种影响着你们情绪的声音形式。

Natural sound can do that too.

自然之音亦有此效。

Birdsong, for example, is a sound which most people

比如鸟鸣,这种声音对于大多数人而言

find reassuring.

都是一种安慰。

There is a reason for that. Over hundreds of thousands of years

这正是在经历了成百上千年

we've learned that when the birds are singing, things are safe.

我们认识到鸟的歌声是安全的表现的原因。

It's when they stop you need to be worried.

而当它们停下也就是你们需要担心的时候了。

The third way in which sound affects you is cognitively.

第三种声音影响着你们的方式是认知性的。

You can't understand two people talking at once

你不会同时理解两个人在同时说话

or in this case one person talking twice.

或者在这种情况下一个人说话两次。

Try and listen to the other one.

尝试听另一个人

We have a very small amount of bandwidth for processing auditory input,

我们大脑只有很小一部分可以带宽可以用来处理声像的输入

which is why noise like this —

这正是为什么如这样的闹声

is extremely damaging for productivity.

对于生产力有着如此巨大的破坏力

If you have to work in an open-plan office like this,

如果你要在这样一个公开的办公室里工作,

your productivity is greatly reduced.

你的效率就大打折扣了。

And whatever number you're thinking of, it probably isn't as bad as this.

并且无论你在想着怎样的数字,也许并不会像这样糟糕。

You are one third as productive in open-plan offices as in quiet rooms.

你在一个开放式的办公室里面的效率是安静的房间内的三分之一。

And I have a tip for you. If you have to work in spaces like that,

那让我给你个小建议吧。如果你需要在那样的开放环境下工作,

carry headphones with you, with a soothing sound like birdsong.

带上你的耳机,和如鸟鸣般和谐的音乐。

Put them on and your productivity goes back up to triple what it would be.

在你工作的时候带上耳机,你的效率变会恢复三倍变为它本来的样子。

The fourth way in which sound affects us is behaviorally.

第四种声音影响你的方式是通过行为的

With all that other stuff going on, it would be amazing

当周围有声音的时候,如果我们的行为完全不变,

if our behavior didn't change.

那将会是一件令人惊讶的事情了。

So, ask yourself: Is this person ever going to drive

所以,问问你自己吧:这人是不是准备就

at a steady 28 miles per hour? I don't think so.

一直用28英里每小时的速度开下去?我不这么认为。

At the simplest, you move away from unpleasant sound

用最简单的方式说,你会离开不舒服的声音

and towards pleasant sounds.

并前往和谐的声音。

So if I were to play this

所以如果我们播放这个声音

for more than a few seconds, you'd feel uncomfortable;

过不了几秒,你们觉得不舒服了吧;

for more than a few minutes, you'd be leaving the room in droves.

过不了几分钟,你们会成群结队离开这里。

For people who can't get away from noise like that,

因为人们不能摆脱这样的噪声,

it's extremely damaging for their health.

对于他们的身体也是极大的伤害。

And that's not the only thing that bad sound damages.

而且那并不是噪音唯一破坏的

Most retail sound is inappropriate and accidental, and even hostile,

大多数零售商发出的声音是不正确的,随意性的,甚至是带有敌意的。

and it has a dramatic effect on sales.

并且对于销量也有着巨大的影响作用。

For those of you who are retailers, you may want to look away

对于你们其中这些零售商,在我展示这些画面前,

before I show this slide.

你们或许不想再看。

They are losing up to 30 percent of their business

这些声音使得生意少去了百分之三十

with people leaving shops faster, or just turning around on the door.

人们加快步伐离开商店,或者只是在门口望一望。

We all have done it, leaving the area

我们都做过这样的事情,离开那片地域

because the sound in there is so dreadful.

只因为那里的声音太令人不快乐。

演讲简介

声音有愉悦的也有刺耳的,Julian Treasure给我们展示了声音4种影响着我们的方式。仔细听,你将会发现有关我们开放式的、嘈杂办公室的一些令人惊讶的事实。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据