TED演讲:你的医生不愿透露什么?(2)
He even said,what if they see mistakes and sue us?
他甚至说,如果他们看到错误并起诉我们怎么办?
What I saw behind every excuse was deep fear,and what I learned was that to become a doctor,we have to put on our white coats,put up a wall, and hide behind it.
我看到的是每个借口后面深深的恐惧,我学到的是去成为一个医生,我们不得不穿上白大褂,筑起一道墙, 并藏在后面。
There's a hidden epidemic in medicine.
这其实是一种在医学领域里隐藏的风气。
Of course, patients are scared when they come to the doctor.
当然, 患者会害怕当他们去看医生的时候。
Imagine you wake up with this terrible bellyache,you go to the hospital,you're lying in this strange place, you're on this hospital gurney,you're wearing this flimsy gown,strangers are coming to poke and prod at you.
想象你因肚子痛而醒来,你去医院,你躺在一个一个陌生的地方, 你在医院的轮床上,你穿着单薄的病人服,陌生人过来对你一通摆弄,
You don't know what's going to happen.
你不知道将发生什么。
You don't even know if you're going to get the blanket you asked for 30 minutes ago.
你甚至不知道你会不会 拿到你30分钟前要的毛毯。
But it's not just patients who are scared;doctors are scared too.
但是这不仅仅是患者害怕;医生也一样害怕,
We're scared of patients finding out who we are and what medicine is all about.
我们害怕患者找出我们是谁和医学是关于什么的。
And so what do we do?
所以我们做什么呢?
We put on our white coats and we hide behind them.
我们穿上我们的白大褂并藏在后面,
Of course, the more we hide,the more people want to know what it is that we're hiding.
当然, 我们越是想隐藏,人们就越想知道我们隐藏的是什么.
The more fear then spirals into mistrust and poor medical care.
越多的害怕就会造成医患之间不信任, 以及贫乏的医疗救助。
We don't just have a fear of sickness,we have a sickness of fear.
我们不仅仅有着对疾病的害怕,我们也患上了恐惧病。
Can we bridge this disconnect between what patients need and what doctors do?
我们能在患者需求和医生之间的这种隔阂搭建桥梁吗?
Can we overcome the sickness of fear?
我们能克服这种恐惧吗?
Let me ask you differently:
让我换种方式问你:
If hiding isn't the answer, what if we did the opposite?
如果隐藏并不是解决问题的答案, 假使我们反方向而行之了呢?
What if doctors were to become totally transparent with their patients?
如果医生和患者之间变得完全透明呢?
Last fall, I conducted a research study to find out what it is that people want to know about their healthcare.
去年秋天, 我做了一个研究学习去找出人们想知道关于他们医疗保健的哪些事情。
I didn't just want to study patients in a hospital,but everyday people.
我不仅是想了解医院病人们的想法,而是所有人。
So my two medical students, Suhavi Tucker and Laura Johns,literally took their research to the streets.
所以我的两个实习生, 苏诃毗?塔克和劳拉约翰,到街上做了这个研究。
They went to banks, coffee shops, senior centers,Chinese restaurants and train stations.
他们去了医院, 咖啡店, 老人中心,中餐厅和火车站。
What did they find?
他们发现了什么呢?
Well, when we asked people.
当我们问他们。
What do you want to know about your healthcare?
你们想知道关于你们的医疗保健的什么?
people responded with what they want to know about their doctors,because people understand health care to be the individual interaction between them and their doctors.
人们回应他们想知道 关于他们的医生的信息,因为人们知道医疗保健是他们和他们医生之间的个人互动。
When we asked, What do you want to know about your doctors?
当我们问, 你们想知道关于医生的什么?
people gave three different answers.
人们给了三个不同的回答。
Some want to know that their doctor is competent and certified to practice medicine.
一些人想知道他们的医生是有能力和资格去行医。
Some want to be sure that their doctor is unbiased and is making decisions based on evidence and science,not on who pays them.
一些人想确定他们的医生公正的做决定是基于科学依据,而不是谁给他们付钱。
Surprisingly to us,many people want to know something else about their doctors.
令我们惊讶的是,许多人想知道关于医生的其他事情。
Jonathan, a 28-year-old law student,says he wants to find someone who is comfortable with LGBTQ patients and specializes in LGBT health.
乔纳森, 一个28岁的法律学生,说他想找一些愿意为同性 双性恋及跨性别患者治疗,而且是这一类别相关疾病的专家。
Serena, a 32-year-old accountant,says that it's important to her for her doctor to share her values when it comes to reproductive choice and women's rights.
塞丽娜, 一个32岁的会计,说她的医生分享她的价值观在生育选择上和女性权力上 对她说是重要的。
Frank, a 59-year-old hardware store owner,doesn't even like going to the doctor and wants to find someone who believes in prevention first,but who is comfortable with alternative treatments.
弗兰克, 一个59岁的五金店老板,甚至不喜欢去看医生只是想找以预防为先,而且愿意进行替代疗法的医生。
One after another, our respondents told us that that doctor-patient relationship is a deeply intimate one that to show their doctors their bodies and tell them their deepest secrets,they want to first understand their doctor's values.
一个接一个的, 我们的回应者告诉我们医生和患者之间的关系是紧密到可以让他们的医生去看他们的身体,并可以告诉他们最深秘密的。他们想先了解他们的医生的价值观。
Just because doctors have to see every patient doesn't mean that patients have to see every doctor.
仅仅是因为医生可以去看每一个患者并不代表每个患者就不得不去看每个医生。
People want to know about their doctors first so that they can make an informed choice.
人们想先了解他们的医生所以他们可以在知情情况下做出选择,
As a result of this, I formed a campaign.
通过这个结果, 我组织一个活动。
Who's My Doctor?
我的医生是谁?
that calls for total transparency in medicine.
来呼吁医疗界的透明化。
Participating doctors voluntarily disclose on a public website not just information about where we went to medical school and what specialty we're in,but also our conflicts of interest.
自愿参与的医生公开信息在一个公共网站上,不仅仅我们上了哪家医学我们的专业是什么,而且还有我们的经济利益冲突。
We go beyond the Government in the Sunshine Act about drug company affiliations,and we talk about how we're paid.
我们已经超出了政府关于制药从属公司的阳光行动,我们讨论了我们是如何得到报酬的。
Incentives matter.
诱因很重要。
If you go to your doctor because of back pain,you might want to know he's getting paid 5,000 dollars to perform spine surgery versus 25 dollars to refer you to see a physical therapist,or if he's getting paid the same thing no matter what he recommends.
如果你去看医生因为背痛,你可能想知道, 他做一个脊柱手术就能拿到5000美金,而引荐你去看物理治疗只能拿到25美金。或者说不管他推荐你什么, 他得到的支付都是一样的。
难道你不想知道你的医生是否是被制药公司付费的发言人吗?或者说他们个人的信念和你想要的治疗是矛盾的?在美国,你的医生至少根本不需要去告诉你这些。当莲娜文问她的同行医生们去公开这些信息,她收到的反映是让人不安的。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
微信:0012133598196