总统就职演说:美国8任总统马丁·范布伦就职演讲(2)
being ever willing to give a fair equivalent for advantages received.
一直愿意以公平相等来回报所受利益。
We endeavor to conduct our intercourse with openness and sincerity.
我们努力以开放,
We endeavor to conduct our intercourse with openness and sincerity,
和诚恳来进行我们的交往。
promptly avowing our objects and seeking to establish that mutual frankness which is as beneficial in the dealings of nations as of men.
合时宣布我们的目的,并寻求建立在与国或与人交往中都有益的相互之间的坦诚。
We have no disposition and we disclaim all right to meddle in disputes,whether internal or foreign,that may molest other countries,
我们没有意向放弃此权利,去干涉那些可能扰乱他国的,内部或外部的争执;
regarding them in their actual state as social communities,
我们把现实情况的他们看作社会群体,
and preserving a strict neutrality in all their controversies.
并在所有争执中保持严格的中立。
Well knowing the tried valor of our people and our exhaustless resources,
坚信我们深受考验的英勇人民和我们无尽的资源。
we neither anticipate nor fear any designed aggression;
我们既不预期也不惧怕任何有意侵略;
and in the consciousness of our own just conduct we feel a security that we shall never be called upon to exert our determination never to permit an invasion of our rights without punishment or redress.
以我们自己公正行为的良知,我们会因行使我们的决定,永不放过一个侵犯我们权利的行为进行惩罚和纠正,而感到安全。
In approaching,then,in the presence of my assembled countrymen,
于是,在同胞们集会的面前,
to make the solenm promise that yet remains,
即将作出庄严的允诺,
and to pledge myself that I will faithfully execute the office I am about to fill,
并保证我将忠心地行使我将要上任的职责,
I bring with me a settled purpose to maintain the institutions of my country,
我带着一个既定目标来维持我国的机构组织,
which I trust will atone for the errors I commit.
我相信其会对我犯的错误作出弥补。
In receiving from the people the sacred trust twice confided to my illustrious predecessor,
受到人民两次寄予我的显赫的前任的神圣信任,
and which he has discharged so faithfully and so well,
而他是如此忠心和出色地履行之,
I know that I can not expect to perform the arduous task with equal ability and success.
我知道我不能期望以相同的能力和功绩来执行这艰难的任务。
But united as I have been in his counsels,
但是,如同我得到他的建议,
a daily witness of his exclusive and unsurpassed devotion to his country's welfare,
每日目睹他专一而无比贡献于国家的福利事业,
agreeing with him in sentiments which his countrymen have warmly supported,
和他同享他的同胞热情拥护的思想,
and permitted to partake largely of his confidence,
并允许分享他的信任,
I may hope that somewhat of the same cheering approbation will be found to attend upon my path.
我也许可希望同样欢心的赞赏会多少出现在我的道路上。
For him I but express with my own the wishes of all,
对他我只表达我自己的愿望,
that he may yet long live to enjoy the brilliant evening of his well spent life;
愿他仍能长寿以享受其光辉一生的灿烂晚年:
and for myself,conscious of but one desire,faithfully to serve my country,
对我自己,只知一个愿望,忠心为祖国服务。
I throw myself without fear on its justice and its kindness.
我无惧地把自己置于它的公正和仁慈之下。
Beyond that I only look to the gracious protection of the Divine Being whose strengthening support I humbly solicit,
在此之外,我仅期望圣上帝的仁慈保护,我谦卑地请求他的强力支持。
and whom I fervently pray to look down upon us all.
我热心祷告向下照看我们全部。
May it be among the dispensations of His providence to bless our beloved country with honors and with length of days.
愿他的眷顾包含对我们可爱祖国的光辉而长久的祝福。
May her ways be ways of pleasantness and all her paths be peace!
愿她的道路充满喜悦和和平!
马丁·范布伦(Martin Van Buren,1782年12月5日-1862年7月24日),美国第八任副总统(1833年-1837年)及第八任总统(1837年-1841年),他是《美国独立宣言》正式签署后出生的第一位总统。祖籍荷兰,是第一位荷兰裔美国总统。1821年,范布伦当选为美国参议员,后又担任第十一任纽约州州长。安德鲁·杰克逊总统第一任时,范布伦进入内阁任国务卿。1832年范布伦被提名为克逊的副总统(第八任美国副总统),并于1835年被提名为总统候选人。1836年,范布伦击败辉格党(现共和党前身)的四名对手,当选为总统。四年后竞选连任未成。后来又两度参加竞选,皆遭到失败,从此退出政坛,影息故乡。1862年7月24日,他于肯德胡克附近自己的庄园中去世。1962年历史学家投票排名:马丁·范布伦在31位总统中排名第17位;在12位“普通总统”中排名第6。他排在门罗之上,塔夫脱之下。
1837年3月4日,范布伦出任美国第8任总统。选举结果使他认识到,反对派的实力是强大的,胜利者必须保持谦虚和冷静的头脑,所以在就职典礼上,他尽力使杰克逊成为人们欢呼的对象,而自己却以守成者的面目出现。范布伦上台时,整个美国正处在繁荣和平静的状态。可是两个月以后,一场经济大恐慌迅速席卷了全国。经济恐慌所引起的严重萧条造成了人民生活窘迫,社会秩序动荡。范布伦把危机的主要原因归于美国的银行制度。他致力于维护国家和政府的偿付能力,反对在美国增设新的银行,禁止把政府的资金投放到州银行,为建立一个处理政府收支的独立的财政制度而奋斗。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
微信:0012133598196