TED演讲:嘻哈音乐如何帮助我们理解科学(2)

The song is about cheating on your significant other.

这首歌是关于出轨的。

Now, around the time that this song was in heavy rotation,

在这首歌特别流行的时候,

biologists were in deep discussion about whether bird species,

生物学家们深刻讨论了鸟类,

notably songbirds and waterfowl were actually monogamous or not.

特别是夜莺和水禽类是否真的是一夫一妻制。

See, for decades, generations of science students were taught that well over 90 percent of the bird species were monogamous.

几十年来,一代又一代的科学专业学生们学到的观念是:超过90%种类的鸟是一夫一妻制。

A male and female mating faithfully for life.

一雌一雄彼此一生忠贞不渝。

That was until the late 1980s, when a new laboratory technique came on the scene,

直到二十世纪八十年代末,一项新的实验技术问世了。

which could copy DNA from a small tissue or fluid sample and decode the genetics of individuals.

这项技术能够从少量组织或液体样本中复制DNA,然后解码个体的基因。

Now, before that technique, we were never ever certain about, 100 percent,

在这项技术出现之前,我们从来都不百分百确定,

who the parents of baby birds were. All we had were our field notes.

鸟宝宝的父母到底是谁。我们那时所有的证据只有现场考察的笔记。

And we would know which adults lived in a nest and which ones fed the baby birds.

根据这些笔记,我们知道了哪些成年鸟住在鸟巢中,哪些喂养鸟宝宝。

Well, come to find out, study after study kept coming in and we found so much evidence of infidelity

后来越来越多的研究表明,我们发现了大量出轨的证据,

among bird species, particularly these songbirds that we thought were the pinnacle of monogamy.

存在于鸟类之间,尤其是鸣禽之间,而我们以为鸣禽是最践行一夫一妻制的种类了。

It would have made Maury Povich jealous for the ratings.

(如果公开结果)这是让莫里·波维奇(美国脱口秀名人)都嫉妒的收视率。

It rocked biology and ornithology so hard, we had to modify and expand the entire definition of monogamy.

这一事实深刻地震撼了生物学和鸟类学界,我们不得不修正和扩大一夫一妻制的整个定义。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据