梅勒迪斯·维埃拉2015波士顿大学毕业演讲(12)

And while I’m on the subject of water creatures, there’s an expression they use a lot in the news business.

既然说到了水中生物,那就跟你们说一个新闻界广泛使用的说法,

“If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it’s probably a duck.

“如果长得像鸭子,游泳像鸭子,叫起来也像鸭子,那么它很可能就是一只鸭子。

Unless it has been auto corrected, and then we’re all ducked.”

除非它被自动纠正过,那样的话,我们就都被蒙蔽了。”

The message here — pretty simple: Life isn’t all that complicated.

这句话的意思很简单–生活并没有那么复杂。

Things are what they are. Don’t read into everything. Just do your best and try to do no harm.

事情就是它本身的样子。不要做过多解读。只要做到最好,不要伤害别人。

So here are my hopes for you graduates.

以下是我对你们毕业生的几点希望。

When you take off your cap and gown today, I sincerely hope you have clothes on underneath.

今天当你们脱下学士帽和学士服后,我真诚地希望你们里面还穿着衣服。

But I also hope you realize that just learning to navigate college fosters a quality that social scientists call “grit.”

但我也希望你们意识到,大学培养的是一种品质,社会学家称之为“坚毅”。

It means when you fall down, and you will, you will dust yourself off and keep going.

它指的是当你摔倒时–你会摔倒的,你会掸掉灰尘,继续前进。

As you travel through life, I hope you leave deep footprints behind,

我希望你们在一生的旅程中,能在身后留下深深的脚印。

not as a result of all the people you’ve stepped on to get ahead,

这些脚印不是你为了获得成功而盛气凌人地对待他人所留下的,

but rather as a result of all the lives you have lifted along the way.

而是你在一路上帮助他人所留下的。

And 20 or 30 years from now, I hope you’re sitting where your family is today,

从现在起二三十年后,我希望你们坐在你们家人今天坐的地方,

clutching tissues and beaming with pride, remembering your own graduation and thinking,

手里紧紧捏着纸巾,骄傲地眉开眼笑,回想着自己的毕业典礼,心里想着,

“You know, that commencement speaker wasn’t half wrong, whatever her name was.”

“你瞧,那次毕业典礼的演讲人所说的并不全错,不管她叫什么名字。”

Congratulations and good luck.

恭喜你们,祝你们好运!

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据