马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲(16)
No. 8: Make voluntary obligations.
第八点:履行自愿义务。
All right, mom and dad, since we were young, they teach us things as children.
好吧,自打我们小时候起,妈妈和爸爸就教我们东西。
Teachers, mentors, the government, and laws,
老师、导师、政府、法律,
they all give us guidelines by which to navigate this life, rules to abide by in the name of accountability.
全都以负责人的名义,为我们提供把控人生的参考、需要遵守的规则。
I’m not talking about those obligations.
我不是在谈那些义务。
I’m talking about the ones that we make with ourselves, with our God, with our own consciousness.
我说的是我们对我们自己,对我们的上帝,对我们自己的良心所负有的责任。
I’m talking about the you versus you obligations. We have to have ’em.
我说的是你和你自己的责任。我们必须负起这些责任。
Again, these are not societal laws and expectations that we acknowledge and endow for anyone other than ourselves.
重申一下,这些责任不是我们为他人而非自己而承认并实践的社会法律和期许。
These are faith-based obligations that we make on our own.
这些是建立在信仰基础上的义务,是我们主动履行的义务。
These are not the lowered insurance rates for a good driving record;
这些不是因为驾驶记录良好而降低了的保险利率;
you will not be fined to put in jail if you do not gratify these obligations I speak of.
你们不会因为未能履行我所说的这些义务而被罚入狱。
No one else governs these but you.
除了自己,没有人能控制这些。
They are your secrets with yourself; your own private council, personal protocols;
这些是你和自己之间的秘密,是你的私人议会、个人协议。
and while nobody throws you a party when you abide by them,
当你履行这些义务时,没人会为你开派对庆祝,
no one’s going to arrest you when you break them either, except yourself,
而当你违背这些义务时,也没人逮捕你,除了你自己,
or some cops who got a “disturbing the peace” call at 2:30 in the morning
或者某些警察,他们在凌晨2点半接到“扰乱安宁”的报警电话,
because you were playing bongos in your birthday suit. That was me.
说你正一丝不挂地演奏小手鼓。那就是我。
An honest man’s pillow is his peace of mind, and when you lay down on the pillow at night,
对于诚实的人来说,安宁的心境是他最好的枕头,晚上躺在这个枕头上时,
no matter who’s in your bed, we all sleep alone.
不论床上还有谁,你们都能独自入眠。
These are your personal Jiminy Crickets.
这些是你们个人的道理。
And there are not enough cops in the entire world to police them. It’s on you. It’s on you.
整个世界上没有足够多的警察来监督这些义务。这得靠你们自己,靠你们自己。
马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲