TED演讲:企业垄断的新时代(5)

The market is not the society. Our societies are, of course, much, much more than the market.

市场不是社会。我们的社会,当然比市场要大许多。

But lack of trust in the market can rub off on society so we lose trust in our society as well.

但缺少对市场的信任,会影响整个社会,所以我们也对社会失去信任。

And it may be the most important thing we have, trust.

信任是我们所拥有最重要的东西。

We can trust each other if we are treated as equals.

我们如果受到公平对待,就会信任彼此。

If we are all to have the same chances, well, we all have to follow the same fundamental rules.

如果我们都有同样的机会,那么我们必须遵守同样的基本规则。

Of course, some people and some businesses are more successful than others,

当然,一些人和企业比其他人更成功,

but we do not trust in a society if the prizes are handed out even before the contest begins.

但如果在比赛开始前就已颁发奖项,我们就无法信任这个社会。

And this is where competition rules come in,

这就是竞争规范要解决的问题,

because when we make sure that markets work fairly, then businesses compete on the merits,

因为当我们确保市场公平运行时,企业就会老老实实竞争,

and that helps to build the trust that we need as citizens to feel comfortable and in control,

这帮助我们建立人民所需的信任,让我们感到舒适,感到可以掌控我们的选择,

and the trust that allows our society to work.

这种信任帮助使我们的社会运作。

Because without trust, everything becomes harder.

因为没有信任,每件事就变得困难。

Just to live our daily lives, we need to trust in strangers, to trust the banks who keep our money,

为了过好日常生活,我们必须信任陌生人,信任保管我们钱财的银行,

the builders who build our home, the electrician who comes to fix the wiring, the doctor who treats us when we're ill,

盖我们房子的工人,来修电线的电工,我们生病时所看的医生,

not to mention the other drivers on the road, and everyone knows that they are crazy.

更不用说路上的其他驾驶员,大家都知道他们很疯狂。

And yet, we have to trust them to do the right thing.

但我们仍需相信他们会做正确的事。

And the thing is that the more our societies grow, the more important trust becomes and the harder it is to build.

我们的社会越是成长,信任就越发重要,但也越难建立。

And that is a paradox of modern societies.

这就是现代社会的矛盾之处。

And this is especially true when technology changes the way that we interact.

这尤其表现在当科技改变我们的相处模式时。

Of course, to some degree, technology can help us to build trust in one another with ratings systems and other systems that enable the sharing economy.

某种程度上,通过评分系统和其他系统科技可帮助我们建立对彼此的信任,开启共享经济。

But technology also creates completely new challenges when they ask us not to trust in other people

但科技也带来前所未有的挑战,科技要我们不去相信其他人,

but to trust in algorithms and computers.

改而相信算法和计算机。

玛格丽特·韦斯塔格尔想保持欧洲市场的竞争力–这就是为什么代表欧盟的她罚款谷歌28亿美元,因其违反反托拉斯法规;她也向苹果公司索取153亿美元的退税,并调查了一系列公司是否实行反竞争做法,包括俄罗斯天然气工业股份公司和菲亚特公司等。她在全球商业状况的重要讲话时,解释了为什么市场需要明确的规范–以及,甚至最具创新性的公司变得过于主导时,也会成为问题。 韦斯塔格尔说:“在建立我们所需的信任时,真正公平的竞争发挥着至关重要的作用。”她表示,“这一切就从执行我们的规范开始。”

NSDA认证项目/全国英语演讲大赛/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn
微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据