TED演讲:为什么最棒的雇员并没有完美的简历(1)
WordPress数据库错误: [Got error 28 from storage engine]
SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS wp_posts.*, yarpp.score
FROM wp_posts join wp_yarpp_related_cache as yarpp on wp_posts.ID = yarpp.ID
WHERE 1=1 AND yarpp.score >= 1 and yarpp.reference_ID = 90456 AND wp_posts.post_type = 'post'
ORDER BY score DESC, wp_posts.ID ASC
limit 10
Your company launches a search for an open position.
你的公司发布了一个公开招聘的职位。
The applications start rolling in, and the qualified candidates are identified. Now the choosing begins.
申请表开始滚滚而来,合格的候选人已被挑选出来。现在开始挑选。
Person A: Ivy League, 4.0, flawless resume, great recommendations. All the right stuff.
候选人A:常春藤盟校,绩点4.0,完美的履历,出色的推荐信。所有好的要素都具备。
Person B: state school, fair amount of job hopping, and odd jobs like cashier and singing waitress.
候选人B:公立学校毕业,碾转于各种工作之间,甚至包括做收银员和唱歌的服务生。
But remember — both are qualified. So I ask you: who are you going to pick?
不过请记得–两位都是符合要求的。所以,我要问问你们:你们会选择哪一位?
My colleagues and I created very official terms to describe two distinct categories of candidates.
我和我的同事发明了一些非常正式的术语,来描述这两个不同类别的候选人。
We call A “the Silver Spoon,” the one who clearly had advantages and was destined for success.
我们把A称为“含着银钥匙的人”,一个明显具有优势,而且注定会成功的人。
And we call B “the Scrapper,” the one who had to fight against tremendous odds to get to the same point.
我们把B称为“拳击手”,必须努力冲破重重难关才能实现同样的目标。
You just heard a human resources director refer to people as Silver Spoons and Scrappers —
你们刚刚听到了一个人力资源总监将应聘者比作银汤匙和拳击手
which is not exactly politically correct and sounds a bit judgmental.
这听起来在政治上不太正确,而且还有些武断。
But before my human resources certification gets revoked — let me explain.
但在我的人力资源证书被吊销前–让我来解释一下。
一个候选人拥有完美的简历,而另一个的经历则充满艰辛,人力资源总监瑞吉娜·哈特利总会给“拳击手”一个机会。作为一个在逆境中长大的人,哈特利知道,那些在黑暗中坚持拼搏的人能够在不断变化的工作状况中表现得更加坚毅。“选择被低估的竞争者,他/她的武器是激情和决心,” 她说,“雇用拳击手。”