TED演讲:多元化的自己究竟有多大力量(3)

So with this realization in mind, I decided to embrace all of the different versions of myself

带着这种认识,我决定接受一个截然不同的自己,

even allow myself to reinvent myself at times.

甚至允许自己以全新的面貌出现。

So for example, in high school, I have to confess I was a mega-nerd.

比如,在高中的时候,我不得不承认我是个书呆子。

I had no sense of fashion — thick glasses, simple hairstyle — you can get the idea.

对于时尚一窍不通–戴着厚眼镜,留着简单的发型,相信你们能想象出来。

I think, actually, I only had friends because I shared my homework. That's the truth.

我觉得,那时候我之所以有朋友,是因为我借作业给他们抄。是真的。

But once at university, I was able to find a new identity for myself, and the nerd became a popular girl.

但在大学的时候,我找到了自己新的身份,从书呆子变成了受欢迎的女孩。

But it was MIT, so I don't know if I can take too much credit for that.

但因为我在麻省理工,所以我也不知道这种改变到底有多大用处。

As they say over there, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

他们那儿有句话,“数量挺多的,质量却不好。”

I switched majors so many times that my advisors joked that I should get a degree in "random studies."

我换了很多次专业,最后我的顾问开玩笑说,我应该去修一个“随机专业”学位。

I told this to my kids.

我把这件事告诉了我的孩子们。

And then over the years, I have gained a lot of different identities.

这些年我有了许多不同的身份。

I started as an inventor, entrepreneur, social innovator.

最开始我是作为一名发明者,企业家,社会革新者。

Then I became an investor, a woman in tech, a teacher.

之后我成为了投资人,技术女性,老师。

And most recently, I became a mom, or as my toddler says repeatedly, "Mom!" day and night.

最近我成为了一名母亲,或者像我的小家伙不停叫着的,“妈~妈~”,从早到晚。

Even my accent was so confused — its origin was so obscure, that my friends called it, "Rebecanese."

就连我的口音也很奇怪–它是如此复杂,以至于我的朋友管它叫“瑞贝卡语”。

瑞贝卡·黄的一生都在不停地切换身份–在韩国出生,在阿根廷长大,在美国上学–长久以来,她甚至无法找到一个可以称之为老家的地方。在这个充满挑战的过程中,她有了一个关键的认识:多元化的背景在今天这个全球化的世界中是一个明显的优势。在这个关于她自己的演讲中,黄分享了接受复杂身份所能带来的众多好处,以及她希望建立一个新世界的愿望,在那里身份不再让人们彼此疏离,而是互相靠近。

NSDA认证项目/全国英语演讲大赛/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn
微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据