TED演讲:为什么要跟别人一样?(4)

By 19, I was a fully-fledged movie actor, but still searching for definition.

当我19岁时,我已经是一个羽翼丰满的电影演员,但却仍在寻找定义。

I applied to read anthropology at university.

我在大学里申请攻读人类学。

Dr. Phyllis Lee gave me my interview, and she asked me, “How would you define race?”

Phyllis Lee博士对我进行了面试,她问我:“你怎样定义种族?”

Well, I thought I had the answer to that one, and I said, “Skin color.”

嗯,我觉得我有答案,然后我说:“肤色。”

“So biology, genetics?” she said.

她继续问道:“也就是生物学基因上的差异?”

“Because, Thandie, that’s not accurate.

“因为,桑迪,肤色并不准确。

Because there’s actually more genetic difference between a black Kenyan and a black Ugandan

在一个黑皮肤的肯尼亚人和一个黑皮肤的乌干达人之间存在的基因差异,

than there is between a black Kenyan and, say, a white Norwegian.

实际上超过在一个黑皮肤的肯尼亚人和一个,比如说,白皮肤的挪威人之间的差异。

Because we all stem from Africa. So in Africa, there’s been more time to create genetic diversity.”

因为我们都起源于非洲。所以在非洲更有可能产生基因多样性。”

In other words, race has no basis in biological or scientific fact.

换句话说,种族这一说法并没有生物学或科学基础。

On the one hand, result. Right? On the other hand, my definition of self just lost a huge chunk of its credibility.

一方面,这是结果。对吗?另一方面,我对自我的定义则失去了相当大一部分的可信度。

But what was credible, what is biological and scientific fact, is that we all stem from Africa

可以相信的以及生物学和科学事实,就是我们都起源于非洲,

in fact, from a woman called Mitochondrial Eve who lived 160,000 years ago.

实际上,起源于一个叫做线粒体夏娃的女人,她生活在十六万年前。

And race is an illegitimate concept which our selves have created based on fear and ignorance.

种族是一个不合法的概念,是我们自己基于恐惧和无知创造出来的。

演员桑迪·牛顿讲述她是如何找到自己的“另一面”–先是作为一个在两种截然不同的文化中成长的小孩,然后作为一个饰演不同人物的演员。这是一场来自TEDGlobal 2011的温暖的、充满智慧的演讲。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据