TED演讲之败中求胜 犯错的价值(7)

This attachment to our own rightness keeps us from preventing mistakes when we absolutely need to and causes us to treat each other terribly.

我们的自以为是,让我们在最需要的时候无法预防犯错,更让我们互相仇视。

But to me, what's most baffling and most tragic about this is that it misses the whole point of being human.

对我来说,最大的悲剧是它让我们错失了身为人的珍贵意义。

It's like we want to imagine that our minds are just these perfectly translucent windows

那就像是想象我们的心灵之窗完全透明,

and we just gaze out of them and describe the world as it unfolds.

我们向外观看,描述在我们之前展开的世界。

And we want everybody else to gaze out of the same window and see the exact same thing.

我们想要每个人和我们有一样的窗子,对世界做出一样的观察。

That is not true, and if it were, life would be incredibly boring.

那不是真的,如果是,人生将会多么无聊。

The miracle of your mind isn't that you can see the world as it is.

心灵的神奇之处不在你懂得这个世界是什么样子。

It's that you can see the world as it isn't.

而是去理解那些你不懂的地方。

We can remember the past, and we can think about the future,

我们记得过去,思考未来,

and we can imagine what it's like to be some other person in some other place.

我们想象自己成为他人,在他方。

And we all do this a little differently,

我们的想象都有些不同,

which is why we can all look up at the same night sky and see this and also this and also this.

于是当我们抬头看同一个夜空,我们看到这个,这个和这个。

And yeah, it is also why we get things wrong.

这也是我们搞错事情的原因。

1,200 years before Descartes said his famous thing about "I think therefore I am," this guy, St. Augustine,

在笛卡儿说出那句有名的“我思故我在”的一千两百年前,圣奥古斯丁,

sat down and wrote "Fallor ergo sum" — "I err therefore I am."

坐下来写下“Fallor ergo sum”–“我错故我在”。

Augustine understood that our capacity to screw up,

奥古斯丁懂得我们犯错的能力,

it's not some kind of embarrassing defect in the human system, something we can eradicate or overcome.

这并不是人性中一个令人难堪的缺陷,不是我们可以克服或消灭的。

It's totally fundamental to who we are.

这是我们的本质。

Because, unlike God, we don't really know what's going on out there.

因为我们不是上帝,我们不知道我们之外究竟发生了什么。

And unlike all of the other animals, we are obsessed with trying to figure it out.

而不同于其它动物的是,我们都疯狂地想找出解答。

To me, this obsession is the source and root of all of our productivity and creativity.

对我来说,这种寻找的冲动就是我们生产力和创造力的来源。

演讲简介

每个人都会避免犯错,但或许避免犯错本身就是一种错误?“犯错家”凯瑟琳·舒尔茨告诉我们,或许我们不只该承认错误,更应该大力拥抱人性中“我错故我在”的本质。

NSDA认证项目/全国英语演讲大赛/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn
微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据