TED演讲之现在或永不 我为什么划船横渡太平洋(2)

Now, some of you might be thinking, "Hold on a minute.

在座的有些人现在一定可能在想,“得了吧。

She doesn't look very much like an ocean rower.

她长得一点也不像个横渡大洋者。

Isn't she meant to be about this tall and about this wide and maybe look a bit more like these guys?"

她是不是长得这么高,或者这么强壮,是不是和这些家伙们有那么一点相似呢?”

You'll notice, they've all got something that I don't.

大家看得出他们具备的一些东西我的确没有。

Well, I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm talking about the beards.

我不知道大家心里想的是什么,我是指我没有他们那样的胡子。

And no matter how long I've spent on the ocean, I haven't yet managed to muster a decent beard, and I hope that it remains that way.

无论我在大洋上渡过多长时间,我依然无法让自己拥有他们那样的漂亮胡子,我希望还是保持原状吧。

For a long time, I didn't believe that I could have a big adventure.

在很长一段时间里,我都无法相信自己可以去冒险。

The story that I told myself was that adventurers looked like this. I didn't look the part.

我所认为的冒险,就是这些人所做的。看上去我不适合这样的冒险。

I thought there were them and there were us, and I was not one of them.

我曾经觉得我们和他们是两种人,而我不能成为他们中的一员。

So for 11 years, I conformed. I did what people from my kind of background were supposed to do.

所以在11年里,我默守陈规,我完成了我这个背景的人应该做的事情。

I was working in an office in London as a management consultant.

我以前在伦敦的一间办公室里,作管理顾问的工作。

And I think I knew from day one that it wasn't the right job for me.

我想我从工作的第一天就知道这份工作并不对我的心思。

But that kind of conditioning just kept me there for so many years,

但是那份工作的丰厚待遇还是让我从事了多年,

until I reached my mid-30s and I thought, "You know, I'm not getting any younger. "

一直到我三十四、五岁的时候,我意识到,“是啊,我已经不再年轻。”

I feel like I've got a purpose in this life, and I don't know what it is,

我知道我的人生当中还有追求,但我不知道是什么,

but I'm pretty certain that management consultancy is not it.

我十分确定的是,管理顾问工作绝不是我追求的目标。

So, fast forward a few years. I'd gone through some changes.

几年的时间转瞬即逝。我也经历了一些改变。

To try and answer that question of, "What am I supposed to be doing with my life?"

我认真思考回答了这个问题,“在我的人生里,我到底最想做什么?”

I sat down one day and wrote two versions of my own obituary, the one that I wanted, a life of adventure,

终于有一天,我坐下来为自己写了两种不同的讣告,一个是我想要的,是充满了冒险经历的一生,

and the one that I was actually heading for which was a nice, normal, pleasant life,

而另一个则是按照我现在的生活轨迹所能达到的,一个享受正常、安逸、舒适生活的一生,

but it wasn't where I wanted to be by the end of my life.

而在我生命终结时,后者并不是我想要达到的目标。

I wanted to live a life that I could be proud of.

我希望拥有一个我为之自豪的一生。

演讲简介

两年前,罗兹·萨维奇辞去了她在伦墩的高强度工作,变身为一名划船横渡海洋的人。她曾独自一人横渡了大西洋,而本周她又将启程开始独自划船横渡太平洋的第三个阶段,她将是完成此壮举的世界第一位女性。她为什么要这样做?听她讲述其背后的深层个人原因及迫切的行动理由。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据