TED演讲之入门 我们需要谈谈不公(14)

So you heard and saw an obvious desire by this audience, this community, to help you on your way and to do something on this issue.

你应该听到看到这些听众,这个群体,想帮你、想做贡献的意愿了。

Other than writing a check, what could we do?

除了给你写支票,我们还能做什么?

Well there are opportunities all around us. If you live in the state of California, for example, there's a referendum coming up this spring

我们周遭有很多机会。比如,如果你在加州住,今年春天有个公投,

where actually there's going to be an effort to redirect some of the money we spend on the politics of punishment.

决定是否要重新分配一些我们原本花费在刑罚操作的经费。

For example, here in California we're going to spend one billion dollars on the death penalty in the next five years — one billion dollars.

例如,在加州,未来五年内,我们将花十亿美元在死刑上十亿美元。

And yet, 46 percent of all homicide cases don't result in arrest.

然而,百分之四十六的杀人案件并没有逮捕到犯人。

56 percent of all rape cases don't result. So there's an opportunity to change that.

百分之五十六的强暴案没有破案。所以是有机会可以改变的。

And this referendum would propose having those dollars go to law enforcement and safety.

这个公投提议将这些金钱投入落实法律和安全。

And I think that opportunity exists all around us.

我想机会就存在于我们身边。

There's been this huge decline in crime in America over the last three decades.

在过去的三十年来,美国的犯罪率有显著的下降。

And part of the narrative of that is sometimes that it's about increased incarceration rates.

有部分的看法是这跟提高的监禁率有关。

What would you say to someone who believed that?

你会怎么跟持有这种看法的人解释?

Well actually the violent crime rate has remained relatively stable.

事实上,美国暴力犯罪的数字一直没有多大变动。

The great increase in mass incarceration in this country wasn't really in violent crime categories.

大量增加的服刑人口,并不是来自暴力犯罪。

It was this misguided war on drugs. That's where the dramatic increases have come in our prison population.

而主要是毒品犯罪。那是我们的监狱人口剧增的原因。

And we got carried away with the rhetoric of punishment.

我们被花俏的判刑名词冲昏了头。

And so we have three strikes laws that put people in prison forever for stealing a bicycle, for low-level property crimes,

例如我们用三振出局法严惩惯犯,将偷脚踏车或廉价物品的罪犯判终身监禁,

rather than making them give those resources back to the people who they victimized.

而不是让他们去弥补受害者。

I believe we need to do more to help people who are victimized by crime, not do less.

我相信我们需要做的是给予犯罪受害人更多帮助,不是只着重在严惩罪犯。

And I think our current punishment philosophy does nothing for no one.

我们现有的刑罚思考哲学对任何人都没有好处。

And I think that's the orientation that we have to change.

所以我认为这个大方向需要改变。

Bryan, you've struck a massive chord here. You're an inspiring person.

Bryan,你的演说动人心弦。你是个能激发人心的人。

Thank you so much for coming to TED. Thank you.

非常感谢你来到TED。谢谢。

演讲简介

在这个演讲里,人权律师布莱恩·史蒂文森通过讲述他与其外婆以及与帕克斯夫人之间的故事,告诉了大家一些美国司法系统中的骇人真相。演讲从讲述大规模的的种族不平等待遇开始:三分之一美国黑人男性有被监禁的经历。这些问题源于美国一段不被重视的历史,它们从未像今天这样被坦诚地,有洞察力地和有说服力地公开讨论过。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据