TED演讲:新美国梦(6)

Now, this means the nine-to-five no longer works for anyone.

如今,这意味着朝九晚五的工作不再适合所有人。

Punch clocks are becoming obsolete, as are career ladders.

打卡和事业的阶梯已经过时了。

Whole industries are being born and dying every day. It's all nonlinear from here.

企业日新月异、起伏不定。

So we need to stop asking kids, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

因此我们不要再问孩子,“你长大后想做什么?”

and start asking them, "How do you want to be when you grow up?"

而是问,“你长大后要如何成为自己想成为的人?”

Their work will constantly change. The common denominator is them.

他们的工作千变万化,只有他们本身是不变的。

So the more they understand their gifts and create crews of ideal collaborators, the better off they will be.

因此,他们越了解自己的天赋,理想的合作伙伴也会越多,生活也会更好。

The challenge ahead is to reinvent the social safety net to fit this increasingly fragmented economy.

我们面临的挑战就是重建社会保障体系,以适应逐渐分化的经济。

We need portable health benefits.

我们需要便捷的医疗保障。

We need policies that reflect that everyone deserves to be vulnerable or care for vulnerable others, without becoming destitute.

我们需要制定政策,规定不仅仅穷人是弱者,每个人都应该是弱者。每个人都应当关心其他弱者。

We need to seriously consider a universal basic income. We need to reinvent labor organizing.

我们需要慎重考虑全民基本收入,我们需要重新构建劳动组织。

The promise of a work world that is structured to actually fit our 21st century values,

工作前景应当是符合21世纪价值观,

not some archaic idea about bringing home the bacon, is long overdue — just ask your mother.

而不是养家这种过时的观念,早就应该这样想了,问问母亲们就知道了。

Now, how about the second question: How should we live? We should live like our immigrant ancestors.

现在我们来谈谈第二个问题,我们应该怎么生活?我们应该像移民的祖先一样生活。

When they came to America, they often shared apartments, survival tactics, child care

他们来到美洲时,经常分享住所、生存手段和照顾孩子,

always knew how to fill one more belly, no matter how small the food available.

不论食物有多少,总是有办法喂饱新生儿的肚子。

But they were told that success meant leaving the village behind and pursuing that iconic symbol of the American Dream, the white picket fence.

但是人们告诉他们,想要成功,就得离开村庄,追寻美国梦的象征:白色尖桩篱笆。

And even today, we see a white picket fence and we think success, self-possession.

甚至今天,当我们看到白色尖桩篱笆,也能联想到成功和沉着冷静。

But when you strip away the sentimentality, what it really does is divides us.

但是当你抛开这种表象就会发现,白篱笆只是将我们分隔开来。

Many Americans are rejecting the white picket fence and the kind of highly privatized life that happened within it,

现在许多美国人都抵制白篱笆,抵制篱笆内的独立封闭式生活,

and reclaiming village life, reclaiming interdependence instead.

重新追求乡村生活,重新追求相互依赖。

大多数美国家长不认为孩子的未来生活会更好,这在历史上还是头一次。记者考特尼·马丁称,不必因此而担忧,而是将此视作一个机遇,定义新型工作方式和新型家庭,注重社区生活和创新能力。她在讲话中说道:“最危险的不是没法实现美国梦,而是去追寻一个连自己都不相信的梦。”这势必在全世界产生共鸣。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据