TED演讲之说什么 重新定义字典(2)

For one thing, I just do not do uniforms.

首先,我不喜欢制服。

And for another, deciding what words are good and what words are bad is actually not very easy.

而且,决定谁是好词谁是坏词其实一点也不容易,

And it's not very fun. And when parts of your job are not easy or fun,

还不好玩。如果你的工作中有这么一部分既不容易又不好玩,

you kind of look for an excuse not to do them.

你就会千方百计去回避它。

So if I had to think of some kind of occupation as a metaphor for my work, I would much rather be a fisherman.

由此,如果要找一种工作来比喻我在干的活,我宁可当一个渔夫。

I want to throw my big net into the deep, blue ocean of English

我要在英语这个深蓝的海洋里撒上我的大网,

and see what marvelous creatures I can drag up from the bottom.

看可以从海里捕到什么珍异的海产。

But why do people want me to direct traffic, when I would much rather go fishing?

可是现实中,为什么人们期望我去当交警而不是渔夫呢?

Well, I blame the Queen. Why do I blame the Queen?

这,是英女王的错。为什么我要责怪她?

Well, first of all, I blame the Queen because it's funny.

首先,责怪女王比较有趣,

But secondly, I blame the Queen because dictionaries have really not changed.

另外的原因是,自维多利亚女王以来,字典并没有什么变化。

Our idea of what a dictionary is has not changed since her reign.

我们对字典的理解自维多利亚女王统治时期以来没有改变过。

The only thing that Queen Victoria would not be amused by in modern dictionaries

在现代字典里,唯一不会让女王欢喜的是

is our inclusion of the F-word, which has happened in American dictionaries since 1965.

对脏话的引入,自1965年起出现在美国字典里。

So, there's this guy, right? Victorian era.

看看这位先生,维多利亚时期的,

James Murray, first editor of the Oxford English Dictionary.

詹姆斯·穆雷,牛津英语字典的第一位编辑。

I do not have that hat. I wish I had that hat.

我没有像他那样的帽子,我多希望有这样的一顶帽子。

So he's really responsible for a lot of what we consider modern in dictionaries today.

就是他把我们至今还认为是现代的元素放在字典里。

When a guy who looks like that, in that hat, is the face of modernity, you have a problem.

如果把一个如此打扮的人,看那帽子,作为现代的代表,那你们就有麻烦了。

And so, James Murray could get a job on any dictionary today.

詹姆斯·穆雷即使活在今天也还是能为任何一本字典担任编纂工作,

There'd be virtually no learning curve.

而无需学习曲线。

演讲简介

备受爱戴的纸质字典是不是注定要绝迹了?在这个充满感染力和活力的演讲里,首席字典编纂家爱琳·麦奇,从多方面看印刷字典的转型。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据