TED演讲之说什么 重新定义字典(4)

So — now, when you think about this, what we have here is a ham butt problem.

所以,现在,当你想到这些,我们面对的问题其实是火腿屁股的问题。

Does everyone know the ham butt problem?

有人知道火腿屁股的问题吗?

Woman's making a ham for a big, family dinner.

有个女人正在弄火腿,给一个大家庭做晚餐。

She goes to cut the butt off the ham and throw it away,

她正要把火腿根部切去扔掉,

and she looks at this piece of ham and she's like,

看着那片火腿,她想,

"This is a perfectly good piece of ham. Why am I throwing this away?"

“这其实是块好肉,为什么我要把它扔掉呢?”

She thought, "Well, my mom always did this."

她继续想,“可是我妈都是这么做的”,

So she calls up mom, and she says, "Mom, why'd you cut the butt off the ham, when you're making a ham?"

于是她打电话给她妈妈,问,“妈妈,为什么你做火腿的时候要把火腿屁股切掉?”

She says, "I don't know, my mom always did it!"

她妈妈说,“我不知道,我妈一直都这么做的!”

So they call grandma, and grandma says, "My pan was too small!"

于是她们又打电话给外婆,外婆说,“我的锅太小了!”

So, it's not that we have good words and bad words. We have a pan that's too small!

所以,这不是因为有好词和坏词的存在,只是我们的锅太小了!

You know, that ham butt is delicious! There's no reason to throw it away.

要知道,其实火腿屁股味道可好了!没理由把它扔掉。

The bad words — see, when people think about a place

所谓的坏词——当人们想去一个地方,

and they don't find a place on the map, they think, "This map sucks!"

却不能在地图上找到这个地方,他们就认为,“这地图一点用也没有!”

When they find a nightspot or a bar, and it's not in the guidebook,

当人们发现一个旅游指南上没有的夜店或酒吧,

they're like, "Ooh, this place must be cool! It's not in the guidebook."

他们又认为,“旅游指南上没有的,这地方一定很酷!”

When they find a word that's not in the dictionary, they think,

而当人们发现一个字典上没有的单词,他们就觉得

"This must be a bad word." Why? It's more likely to be a bad dictionary.

“这个一定是坏词”。为什么呢?这其实更像是一本坏字典的问题。

Why are you blaming the ham for being too big for the pan? So, you can't get a smaller ham.

为什么要责怪火腿比锅大呢?你不能找到小一点的火腿,

The English language is as big as it is.

因为英语本身就很大。

演讲简介

备受爱戴的纸质字典是不是注定要绝迹了?在这个充满感染力和活力的演讲里,首席字典编纂家爱琳·麦奇,从多方面看印刷字典的转型。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据