TED演讲之寻找真理:我们的大问题(3)

Now, let me spend the rest of my time on the third big problem,

现在,让我把余下的时间花在对第三个重大问题的探讨上。

because it's more subtle and perhaps difficult to grasp.

因为这个问题更加微妙,也可能难以把握。

Think about some time in your life —

试着回忆一下你生命中的某些时刻——

some people might never have experienced it — but some people,

有些人可能从未体会过——但有些人

there are just those moments that you have experienced where life was fantastic.

在他们生命的某些时刻体会到生命的美妙。

It might have been at the moment of some great, creative inspiration

它可能是当你进入心流体验时

you might have had when you just entered this flow stage.

所经历的很棒的、产生创造性灵感的时候。

Or when you understood something you had never done before.

或者是当你弄懂了某件以往从未涉足的事情的时刻。

Or perhaps in the ecstasy of romantic love.

或者是浪漫爱情中那销魂迷醉的时刻。

Or an aesthetic experience — a sunset or a great piece of art.

或者是一种对美感的欣赏——如一次落日,或一幅名画。

Every once in a while we have these moments,

时不时的,我们便会经历这样的时刻,

and we realize just how good life can be when it's at its best.

我们意识到,生命最美好的时刻是多么令人陶醉。

And you wonder, why can't it be like that all the time?

然后你就想,为什么生活不能总是那么美好呢?

You just want to cling onto this.

你就是想抓住此刻不放。

And then, of course, it drifts back into ordinary life and the memory fades.

然后呢,当然,生活又回到了常态,美好记忆悄然消退。

And it's really difficult to recall, in a normal frame of mind, just how good life can be at its best.

对我们来说,以一颗平常之心是非常难以回想生活在最精彩的时候是多么的美好,

Or how bad it can be at its worst.

或在最差劲的时候是多么的糟糕。

The third big problem is that life isn't usually as wonderful as it could be.

第三个重大问题是,生命通常达不到它可能达到的美妙状态。

I think that's a big, big problem.

我想这是一个非常,非常大的问题。

It's easy to say what we don't want.

我们很容易指出出我们不喜欢的东西。

Here are a number of things that we don't want

以下都是我们避之而不及的东西

illness, involuntary death, unnecessary suffering, cruelty,

疾病、非自愿死亡、不必要的痛苦、残酷、

stunted growth, memory loss, ignorance, absence of creativity.

发育停滞、健忘症、无知,以及缺乏创造力。

Suppose we fixed these things — we did something about all of these.

假设我们解决了这些问题——我们对所有这些都采取些措施。

We were very successful. We got rid of all of these things.

我们对此非常成功。我们摆脱了所有这些难题。

We might end up with something like this,

我们可能会变成这样。

which is — I mean, it's a heck of a lot better than that.

我的意思是,这将比原来的境况要好一百倍,

But is this really the best we can dream of?

但是,这真的是我们能想到的最好结果吗?

Is this the best we can do?

这真的是我们所能做的最好程度吗?

Or is it possible to find something a little bit more inspiring to work towards?

还是有可能找到一些更加鼓舞人心的目标来为之奋斗?

And if we think about this,

如果我们这样想,

I think it's very clear that there are ways in which we could change things,

我认为,有一点非常明确,那就是如果想改变现状,

not just by eliminating negatives, but adding positives.

除了消除负面因素,还可以增加积极因素。

On my wish list, at least, would be:

至少在我的愿望清单上会有——

much longer, healthier lives, greater subjective well-being,

更长久、更健康的幸福,更美满的康乐安宁,

enhanced cognitive capacities, more knowledge and understanding,

更强的认知能力,更多的知识和领悟力,

unlimited opportunity for personal growth

超越目前人类生物极限的无限的个人成长机会,

beyond our current biological limits, better relationships,

更好的人际关系,

an unbounded potential for spiritual, moral and intellectual development.

更宽广的精神,道德以及才智方面的发展空间。

If we want to achieve this, what, in the world, would have to change?

如果我们想达到这些目标,世界应如何改变?

And this is the answer — we would have to change.

答案是——该改变的是我们。

Not just the world around us, but we, ourselves.

不仅仅改变我们周围的世界,更应该改变我们自己。

Not just the way we think about the world, but the way we are — our very biology.

不仅仅改变我们看待世界的方式,还有我们自身存在的方式——我们自身的生物特性。

Human nature would have to change.

人类本质必须要改变。

演讲简介

牛津大学哲学家和超人类主义学家尼克·波斯特洛姆对人类前景进行审视,并提出以下疑问:我们是否应该重新定义人道来解决人类最根本的问题?

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据