TED演讲之面对灾难:海地的工程灾难

I learned about the Haiti earthquake by Skype.

我是从Skype上知道海地地震的。

My wife sent me a message, "Whoa, earthquake," and then disappeared for 25 minutes.

我妻子给我发了个消息,“哇,地震了,”然后就消失了25分钟。

It was 25 minutes of absolute terror that thousands of people across the U.S. felt.

这是绝对恐怖的25分钟,数以千计的美国人都感觉到了。

I was afraid of a tsunami;

我曾担心是海啸。

what I didn't realize was there was a greater terror in Haiti, and that was building collapse.

我没意识到的是,更可怕的事在海地发生了,那就是建筑坍塌。

We've all seen the photos of the collapsed buildings in Haiti.

我们都看到过海地建筑坍塌的照片。

These are shots my wife took a couple days after the quake,

这些是我妻子在地震后几天拍摄的,

while I was making my way through the D.R. into the country.

当时我正从D.R.赶往海地。

This is the national palace — the equivalent of the White House.

这是国家宫殿,相当于白宫。

This is the largest supermarket in the Caribbean at peak shopping time.

这是加勒比最大的超市购物高峰时的场面。

This is a nurses' college — there are 300 nurses studying.

这是一所护士学校,有三百名护士在此学习。

The general hospital right next door emerged largely unscathed.

学校旁边的综合医院基本安然无恙。

This is the Ministry of Economics and Finance.

这是经济与金融部。

We have all heard about the tremendous human loss in the earthquake in Haiti,

我们都听说了海地地震所造成的巨大的人员伤亡,

but we haven't heard enough about why all those lives were lost.

但我们并不十分了解造成所有这些生命逝去的原因。

We haven't heard about why the buildings failed.

我们不了解为什么这些建筑会坍塌。

After all, it was the buildings, not the earthquake, that killed 220,000 people,

毕竟,是这些建筑,而不是地震,导致220,000人死亡、

that injured 330,000, that displaced 1.3 million people,

330,000人受伤、130万人无家可归、

that cut off food and water and supplies for an entire nation.

整个国家都缺乏食物、水和补给品。

This is the largest metropolitan-area disaster in decades,

这是几十年来大城市地区最大的灾难。

and it was not a natural disaster — it was a disaster of engineering.

但它不是自然灾难。它是场工程灾难。

AIDG has worked in Haiti since 2007,

AIDG从2007年起开始在海地工作,

providing engineering and business support to small businesses.

为小型企业提供工程和商业支持。

And after the quake, we started bringing in earthquake engineers

在地震后,我们带领地震工程师进入震区,

to figure out why the buildings collapsed, to examine what was safe and what wasn't.

以弄清楚什么导致了建筑坍塌,并检查那些没有坍塌的建筑是否安全。

Working with MINUSTAH, which is the U.N. mission in Haiti,

我们与MINUSTAH一起工作,他们是联合国驻海地机构,

with the Ministry of Public Works, with different NGOs, we inspected over 1,500 buildings.

与公共工程部一起工作,还有其他的一些NGO组织,我们检查了超过1500栋建筑。

We inspected schools and private residencies.

我们检查过的有学校和私人住所。

We inspected medical centers and food warehouses.

我们还检查了医疗中心和食品仓库。

We inspected government buildings.

我也检查了政府的建筑。

演讲简介

“海地地震不是自然灾难,”TED Fellow彼得哈斯说到:“这是场工程灾难。”在一月的致命地震后重建家园时,那些劣质老旧的建筑是不是成了定时炸弹?哈斯所在团体,AIDG,正在帮助海地建筑工人学习现代建筑及工程实践,一砖一瓦的建立坚固的家园。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据