TED演讲:大爱无疆 爱本无条件(5)

And in the course of his childhood,

他的童年,

he had 30 major surgical procedures.

经历了 30次重大外科手术。

And he spent all this time stuck in the hospital while he was having those procedures,

他一直待在医院里,而正是这些治疗过程,

as a result of which he now can walk.

让他现在有了行走的能力。

And while he was there, they sent tutors around to help him with his school work.

他在住院期间,医院请了家庭教师来指导他的功课。

And he worked very hard because there was nothing else to do.

他学习非常努力,因为他没有别的事可做。

And he ended up achieving at a level that had never before been contemplated by any member of his family.

最终,他达到了他家庭内任何成员都从未达到过的高度。

He was the first one in his family, in fact, to go to college,

他是他的家庭成员里第一个去上大学的人,

where he lived on campus and drove a specially-fitted car that accommodated his unusual body.

他住在学校宿舍并且自己开车一辆为他身体状况特别制造的汽车。

And his mother told me this story of coming home one day-and he went to college nearby-and she said, I saw that car, which you can always recognize,

他的母亲告诉我一个故事,他去了家附近的大学,她说,我看到了那部车,一眼就认出来是他的车子,

in the parking lot of a bar, she said.

停在一家酒吧的停车场。

And I thought to myself, they're six feet tall, he's three feet tall.

我想了想,他们六英尺高,他三英尺高。

Two beers for them is four beers for him.

他们喝两瓶啤酒,在他那里就相当于四瓶啤酒。

She said, I knew I couldn't go in there and interrupt him,

她说,我知道我不能走进去打扰他,

but I went home, and I left him eight messages on his cell phone.

但我回家之后,给他发了八条短信。

She said, And then I thought,

她说,我想,

if someone had said to me when he was born that my future worry would be that he'd go drinking and driving with his college buddies.

在他出生的时候,如果有人对我说,我未来的担心是他会和他大学友人酒后驾车。

And I said to her, What do you think you did that helped him to emerge as this charming, accomplished, wonderful person?

我对她说,你觉得你做了什么,帮他成为一个有魅力、 成功、 精彩的人吗?

And she said, What did I do? I loved him, that's all.

她说,我做了什么?我爱他,就这样。

Clinton just always had that light in him.

克林顿一直都有这样的光芒。

And his father and I were lucky enough to be the first to see it there.

他的父亲和我很幸运,最早看见了他的光芒。

养育一个和你有本质差异的孩子(他/她可能是神童,残疾人或罪犯)有着怎样的感触?在这个平和且感人至深的演讲中,作家安德鲁·所罗门分享了他和诸多父母的交谈:关于无条件的爱和无条件的接纳之间的那条线。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据