TED演讲:探索世界最深洞穴(3)

We're going to be shooting from minus 2,600 meters that's a little over 8,600 feet down at 30 kilometers from the entrance.

我们要从地下2600米处,大约8600多英尺之下–开始拍摄。那个地方离洞口30千米处。

The lead crews will be underground for pushing 30 days straight.

先头部队将会在地下向前不停地推进30天。

I don't think there's been a mission like that in a long time.

我想已经很久没有象这样的探险活动了。

Eventually, if you keep going down in these things,

最后,如果你一直向下深入这些洞穴,

probability says that you're going to run into a place like this.

概率上说你很可能进入一个

It's a place where there's a fold in the geologic stratum that collects water and fills to the roof.

有褶皱的充满水的地方。

And when you used to find these things,

当以前找这些地方时,

they would put a label on a map that said terminal siphon.

人们会在地图上标注其为吸管终端。

Now I remember that term really well for two reasons.

这个词我记得很清楚。因为有两个原因。

Number one, it's the name of my rock band, and second,

第一,它是我摇滚乐队的名字,第二,

is because the confrontation of these things forced me to become an inventor.

是因为这些地方的挑战迫使我变成了一个发明者。

And we've since gone on to develop many generations of gadgets for exploring places like this.

而且从那以后,我们研发了好几代,许多用于探索类似地方的小仪器。

This is some life-support equipment closed-cycle.

这是某种闭合的维持生命的仪器。

And you can use that now to go for many kilometers horizontally underwater and to depths of 200 meters straight down underwater.

你现在可以用它在水下水平前行几千米,其应用范围深至水下200米处。

When you do this kind of stuff it's like doing EVA.

当你在水下行走时,感觉有点儿像EVA(太空行走)。

It's like doing extra-vehicular activity in space,

像是进行太空行走,

but at much greater distances, and at much greater physical peril.

但是要走的更远,冒的风险也更大。

So it makes you think about how to design your equipment for long range, away from a safe haven.

这让你想办法如何设计你的器械使它安全地走得更远。

Here's a clip from a National Geographic movie that came out in 1999.

这是国家地理电影1999年拍的一些片段,

Exploration is a physical process of putting your foot in places where humans have never stepped before.

探索是一个物理过程,它让你涉足人类从未涉及的地方。

This is where the last little nugget of totally unknown territory remains on this planet.

这是地球上完全不为人知的最后一点儿金地。

To experience it is a privilege.

只有极少的人能够亲历。

That was taken in Wakulla Springs, Florida.

那电影取景于佛罗里达的瓦库拉泉。

Couple of things to note about that movie. Every piece of equipment that you saw in there did not exist before 1999.

这部电影有几件事值得注意:你所见的每种设备,1999年前都不存在。

It was developed within a two-year period and used on actual exploratory projects.

它们是在两年内发明的,并且用于实际探索项目。

比尔斯通是一位非比寻常的探险家,他曾探究过地球最深的深渊。他要讨论他为寻找太空飞行新能源而开采月球冰层的努力,并想要开发一个自动机器人以研究木卫二号行星。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据