TED演讲 自杀者的生死之桥(3)

A witness had observed him jumping off the bridge at 1:58 p.m. the previous day.

一名目击者看到他从桥上冲下去,就在前一天下午1点58分。

Thanks so much for standing up for those who may be only temporarily too weak to stand for themselves.

我非常感谢你一直在鼓励那些人,他们可能只是一时软弱而自己无法承受。

Who hasn't been low before?

谁没有消沉过?

without suffering from a true mental illness?

即使是没有遭受过真正的精神疾病?

It shouldn't be so easy to end it.

这么轻率地结束它实在是不应该。

My prayers are with you for your fight.

我为你和你的努力而祷告。

The GGB, Golden Gate Bridge,is supposed to be a passage across our beautiful bay,not a graveyard.

金门大桥本应是跨过我们美丽的旧金山湾,而非跨过一片墓地。

Good luck this week. Vicky.

祝你这周好运。维姬。

I can't imagine the courage it takes for her to go down to that bridge and walk the path that her son took that day,and also the courage just to carry on.

我无法想象她这样的勇气,就这样走过那座桥,重走她儿子那天所走的路,以及坚持下来的勇气。

I'd like to introduce you to a man I refer to as hope and courage.

我想为大家介绍一个人,我认为他代表了希望和勇气。

On March 11 of 2005,I responded to a radio call of a possible suicidal subject on the bridge sidewalk near the north tower.

在2005年3月11日,我的无线电说桥上的人行道上有个人可能想自杀,我回应了。就在北塔附近,

I rode my motorcycle down the sidewalk and observed this man, Kevin Berthia,standing on the sidewalk.

我骑着我的摩托车沿着人行道过去,看到了这个人,凯文贝希亚,他正站在人行道上。

When he saw me, he immediately traversed that pedestrian rail,and stood on that small pipe which goes around the tower.

当他看到我时,他立即翻过人行道护栏,站在塔周围的小钢管上。站在塔周围的小钢管上。

For the next hour and a half,I listened as Kevin spoke about his depression and hopelessness.

之后的一个半小时里,我就在那里听凯文讲他的抑郁和绝望。

Kevin decided on his own that day to come back over that rail and give life another chance.

那一天凯文自己决定,从护栏那边回来,再给生命一次机会。

When Kevin came back over,I congratulated him.

当凯文回来时,我祝贺了他。

This is a new beginning, a new life.

这是一个新的开始,新的生命。

But I asked him, What was it that made you come back and give hope and life another chance?

但我又问他:是什么让你回来,并且再给希望和生命一次机会?

And you know what he told me?

你们知道他告诉了我什么?

He said, You listened.

他说:你听了。

You let me speak, and you just listened.

你让我说,你就是听。

Shortly after this incident,I received a letter from Kevin's mother,and I have that letter with me,and I'd like to read it to you.

这件事后不久,我收到凯文母亲写来的一封信,我带来了这封信,我想给大家读一读。

Dear Mr. Briggs,

亲爱的布里格斯先生,

Nothing will erase the events of March 11,but you are one of the reasons Kevin is still with us.

什么都无法抹去3月11日的那件事,而凯文仍在我们身边,你是原因之一。

I truly believe Kevin was crying out for help.

我真的相信凯文是在呼喊求救。

He has been diagnosed with a mental illness for which he has been properly medicated.

他诊断患有精神疾病,一直在接受适当的药物治疗。

I adopted Kevin when he was only six months old,completely unaware of any hereditary traits,but, thank God, now we know.

在凯文年仅六个月时,我收养了他,我完全不知道他在遗传上的任何问题,但感谢上帝,现在我们知道了。

Kevin is straight, as he says.

凯文说自己是直男。

We truly thank God for you.

我们真的为你而感谢上帝,

Sincerely indebted to you,Narvella Berthia.

真的感激不尽,娜弗拉贝希亚。

And on the bottom she writes,P.S. When I visited San Francisco General Hospital that evening,you were listed as the patient.

在信下面她写道,又及:我那晚到旧金山综合医院时,你被登记为病人。

Boy, did I have to straighten that one out.

天哪,我一定要提这事吗?

Today, Kevin is a loving father and contributing member of society.

今天,凯文是个慈爱的父亲,对社会也在做出贡献。

He speaks openly about the events that day and his depression in the hopes that his story will inspire others.

他坦率地说起那天的事和他的抑郁症,希望他的故事能启发他人。

Suicide is not just something I've encountered on the job.

自杀不仅是我工作中遇到的事情,

It's personal.

在我的私人生活也有。

My grandfather committed suicide by poisoning.

我的祖父服毒自杀。

That act, although ending his own pain,robbed me from ever getting to know him.

他这样做,虽然结束了他自己的痛苦,而连我认识他的机会也被夺走了。

This is what suicide does.

这就是自杀的后果。

凯文·布里格斯警官从事多年的工作黑暗、不寻常,而且有时会有奇怪的收获:他巡逻的地段是旧金山金门大桥的南端,金门大桥是个热门的自杀地点。在他令人沉思又直指人心的演讲中,布里格斯讲述了站在人生悬崖边的自杀者的故事,他与之有过交谈并且倾听过他们的故事。对于有所爱之人可能在考虑自杀的人们,他给出了一条有力的建议。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据