TED演讲:飞向海洋(2)

Well, it's the relative importance.

就是二者间的相对重要性。

You would say — yeah, yeah, yeah, we all know this;water covers twice the area of the planet than dry land.

也许你会说,是,是,是,我们都知道,地球上水覆盖的面积是陆地的两倍。

But it's a question of perception, and if that's what you're thinking, if that's what you think I mean when I say, This is an ocean planet stupidly called Earth.

但这是一个观念上的问题。如果这就是你们所想的,我是说当我提到这个海洋星球被愚蠢地叫做地球时你们想的就是这个的话,

If you think that that's the relative importance, two to one, you're wrong by a factor of ten.

如果你认为这就是它们的相对重要性,2比1,那你就错了,错了10倍。

Now, you're not as thick as two short planks, but you sound like it when you say Earth, because that demonstration, if I turned around this way

你不会觉得自己跟这两片木板一样的厚吧?但是,你说“地球”时就好象是这么认为的,这是因为演示的关系,如果我把它这样转过来,

That earth plane would be as thin as paper.

地球平面就会跟纸一样薄。

It's a thin film, two-dimensional existence.

这是个薄层,以二维形式存在。

The ocean representation would have a depth to it.

而海洋的演示会表现出深度。

And if you hefted those two things you might find that the relative scale of those is 20 to 1.

而且如果以体积来衡量二者你会发现它们的相对比例是20比1.

It turns out that something more than 94 percent of life on earth is aquatic.

事实上超过94%的地球生命是水生生物。

That means that us terrestrials occupy a minority.

也就是说我们这些陆生者只占据了很小的一部分。

The problem we have in believing that is you just have to give up this notion that this Earth was created for us.

我们在思想上有个问题,我们必须放弃地球是为了我们而存在的想法。

Because it's a problem we have.

因为我们确实有这个问题,

If this is an ocean planet and we only have a small minority of this planet,it just interferes with a lot of what humanity thinks.

如果这是个海洋行星而我们只拥有其一小部分的话,人类的很多想法都会有所不同。

Okay. Let me criticize this thing.

好的,下来我要批评一个事情。

I'm not talking about James Cameron although I could, but I won't.

我说的不是詹姆斯·卡梅隆,虽然我可以,但我不打算这么做。

You really do have to go and see his latest film,Aliens of the Deep. It's incredible.

你们真的有必要去看下他最新的电影,《深海异形》。不可思议的电影。

It features two of these deep rovers,and I can criticize them because these sweet things are mine.

里面描述了两架这种深海探测器,我批评它们,因为这些可爱的东西是我的。

This, I think, represents one of the most beautiful classic submersibles built.

这个,我想,是最漂亮的经典潜水器之一。

If you look at that sub, you'll see a sphere.

仔细看这个潜水器,你会看到一个球体。

This is an acryclic sphere.

这不是一个可以轮转的球体。

It generates all of the buoyancy,all of the payload for the craft,and the batteries are down here hanging underneath,exactly like a balloon.

它的全部浮力的产生,全部载重的放置,电池悬挂在下方就好象热气球一样。

This is the envelope, and this is the gondola, the payload.

这是气囊,这是吊篮、载荷。

Also coming up later for criticism are these massive lights.

接下来要批评的,还有这一大堆的灯。

And this one actually carries two great manipulators.

这一个,携带有两个很大的机械手。

It actually is a very good working sub that's what it was designed for.

这确实是一个非常好的工作装置,这也是它的设计目的。

The problem with it is and the reason I will never build another one like it is that this is a product of two-dimensional thinking.

它的问题所在,也是我永远不会再建一个这种潜水器的原因,就是这是一个二维思维的产物。

It's what we humans do when we go in the ocean as engineers;

作为工程师,我们人类深入海洋的思维方式就是这样。

we take all our terrestrial hang-ups,all our constraints importantly,these two-dimensional constraints that we have,

我们把自己所有在陆地上的困扰,所有的限制,特别是这些二维思维的限制,

and they're so constrained we don't even understand it and we take them underwater.

它们的束缚如此之深以至于我们甚至意识不到,而我们把这些都带到了海里。

You notice that Jim Cameron is sitting in a seat.

你们可以看到卡梅隆正在里面坐着。

A seat works in a two-dimensional world,where gravity blasts down on that seat, OK?

一个在二维世界中存在起作用的座椅是重力把人按在座椅上的,OK?

And in a two-dimensional world.

而在一个二维世界中,

We do know about the third dimension but we don't use it because to go up requires an awful lot of energy against gravity.

我们知道第三维,但并不会利用它,因为要向上飞需要很多的能量来克服重力。

视频简介:

课程简介:让我们登上格雷汉姆·霍克斯那优雅的、长着翅膀的潜水艇,随他一起到“海洋行星”(也就是“地球”)的深处去。对我们这些旱鸭子来说,立体游览这个蓝色深海世界的机会是极其罕有的。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据