TED演讲:老兵为何恋战(4)

And he thought about it quite a long time,

他想了很久。

and finally he said, "Ma'am, I miss almost all of it."

最后说:"太太,我怀念那里所有的一切。"。

And he's one of the most traumatized people I've seen from that war.

他是我见过的经历了战争的人中受创伤最为严重的人之一。

"Ma'am, I miss almost all of it."

他说的这句"太太,我怀念那里所有的一切。"。

What is he talking about?

他是想表达什么呢?。

He's not a psychopath.

他不是神经病。

He doesn't miss killing people.

也不喜欢杀人。

He's not crazy. He doesn't miss getting shot at and seeing his friends get killed.

没有疯,也不喜欢被枪击中看到朋友牺牲。

What is it that he misses? We have to answer that.

那他怀念的是什么?这个问题我要来回答。

If we're going to stop war, we have to answer that question.

如果想要阻止战争发生,我们就必须回答这个问题。

I think what he missed is brotherhood. He missed, in some ways,the opposite of killing.

我认为,他怀念的是兄弟情谊。从某种程度上说,他怀念的是杀戮的对立面。

What he missed was connection to the other men he was with.

是他与其它士兵之间的联系。

Now, brotherhood is different from friendship.

这里,兄弟情谊不同于友谊。

Friendship happens in society, obviously.

友谊多见于社会上。

The more you like someone, the more you'd be willing to do for them.

你越喜欢一个人你越情愿为他付出。

Brotherhood has nothing to do with how you feel about the other person.

但是兄弟情谊却与对他人的感觉无关。

It's a mutual agreement in a group that you will put the welfare of the group, you will put the safety of everyone in the group above your own.

在一个群体中大家都会把整个群体的安危他人的安危置于自己的安危之上。

In effect, you're saying, "I love these other people more than I love myself."

实际上就相当于说:"我爱其他人胜过爱自己"。

Brendan was a team leader in command of three men, and the worst day in Afghanistan.He was almost killed so many times.

布伦丹是一名队长手下有三个士兵。他在阿富汗经历了最惨痛的一天。虽然他自己也几次险些丧生。

It didn't bother him.

但这些对他都不算什么。

The worst thing that happened to him in Afghanistan was one of his men was hit in the head with a bullet in the helmet, knocked him over.

对他来说最惨痛的是。他手下的一名士兵被子弹射中头部子弹打到了钢盔上,把他冲倒了。

They thought he was dead.

大家以为他死了。

It was in the middle of a huge firefight.

当时战事正酣。

No one could deal with it, and a minute later, Kyle Steiner sat back up from the dead, as it were, because he'd come back to consciousness.

没人顾得上他,直到一分钟以后。这名叫凯尔·斯坦纳的士兵坐了起来。好像是复活了一样。因为他又恢复了知觉。

The bullet had just knocked him out.It glanced off the helmet.

子弹把他震晕了。钢盔替他挡住了子弹。

视频简介:

老百姓不会怀念战争,而士兵却会。记者Sebastian Junger 分享了他在雷斯特雷波(阿富汗科伦加尔山谷哨站,曾爆发激烈的战争)与美国士兵相处的经历。他认为战争“改变了人们的想法”,并解释了战争是如何在士兵中间建立起强烈的相互依存感。那说到底,难道是“战争的对立面”让士兵们感到怀念吗?


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据