TED演讲:生命中最惨痛的时刻如何造就我们(3)

Dr. Ma Thida, a leading human rights activist

马提达博士,一位人活跃的权运动领袖

who had nearly died in prison

曾经几乎丧命于狱中

and had spent many years in solitary confinement,

并在单独禁锢中度过多年,

told me she was grateful to her jailers

但她告诉我她很感谢她的囚监

for the time she had had to think,

给她思考的时间,

for the wisdom she had gained,

让她得到了许多的智慧,

for the chance to hone her meditation skills.

和增进她的沉思的能力。

She had sought meaning

她追寻了意义,

and made her travail into a crucial identity.

并把她受的难变成了重要的身份。

But if the people I met

但如果我见到的人们

were less bitter than I'd anticipated

没我想象的中那么怀恨

about being in prison,

他们在狱中的时间,

they were also less thrilled than I'd expected

他们也没有我想象的

about the reform process going on

对他们国家的政治改革

in their country.

那么高兴。

Ma Thida said,

马提达说:

"We Burmese are noted

“我们缅甸人出了名的

for our tremendous grace under pressure,

在压力下能保持优雅,

but we also have grievance under glamour,"

但在华丽表象下却有不满,”

she said, "and the fact that there have been

他说道,“我们曾经历

these shifts and changes

这些动荡和改变

doesn't erase the continuing problems

并不能消除我们

in our society

在狱中学会看清的

that we learned to see so well

社会中

while we were in prison."

长久以来的问题。”

And I understood her to be saying

而我所理解她所说的是

that concessions confer only a little humanity,

相比完整的人性所需要的,

where full humanity is due,

妥协换来的只是一小部分的人性

that crumbs are not the same

这就像面包屑并不等于

as a place at the table,

饭桌前就餐的位置

which is to say you can forge meaning

而这意味着你可以在铸造意义

and build identity and still be mad as hell.

和寻求身份的同时十分气愤。

I've never been raped,

我不曾被强奸,

and I've never been in anything remotely approaching

我也不曾体验过任何

a Burmese prison,

接近缅甸监狱的事情,

but as a gay American,

但身为一名同性恋的美国人,

I've experienced prejudice and even hatred,

我经历过歧视甚至仇恨,

and I've forged meaning and I've built identity,

而我也曾铸造过意义和建造了身份,

which is a move I learned from people

这是我从经历过比我

who had experienced far worse privation

更多困苦的人身上

than I've ever known.

学习到的法则。

In my own adolescence,

我年少时,

I went to extreme lengths to try to be straight.

曾经千辛万苦地努力成为异性恋者。

I enrolled myself in something called

我为自己报名参加了称为

sexual surrogacy therapy,

性替代品的疗法。

in which people I was encouraged to call doctors

所谓的医生为我

prescribed what I was encouraged to call exercises

和所谓替代品女人

with women I was encouraged to call surrogates,

规定了所谓的练习,

who were not exactly prostitutes

她们并不是妓女,

but who were also not exactly anything else.

但除了妓女却也什么都不是。

My particular favorite

我最喜爱的

was a blonde woman from the Deep South

是从南部来的一位金发女郎,

who eventually admitted to me

她最终向我坦白

that she was really a necrophiliac

她是个恋尸癖

and had taken this job after she got in trouble

在她在停尸房中出了事儿后,

down at the morgue.

才接受了这份工作。

These experiences eventually allowed me to have

这些经历最终让我和一些女人

some happy physical relationships with women,

发生了愉快的肉体关系,

for which I'm grateful,

我对此抱有感激,

but I was at war with myself,

但我也和自己不断的战斗,

and I dug terrible wounds into my own psyche.

我在自身的心灵里划下了了严重的伤。

We don't seek the painful experiences

我们不寻求揉搓出我们身份

that hew our identities,

的那些惨痛经验

but we seek our identities

但我们在惨痛的经验之后,

in the wake of painful experiences.

却会追寻我们的身份。

视频简介:

作家安德鲁·所罗门一生都在阐述关于艰辛的故事。现在他转向自己,带给我们一个充满挣扎的童年,同时简述着他近年来遇见的勇敢的人们的故事。在这个动人,衷心而时而完全幽默的演讲中,所罗门呼吁我们从最大的挑战中找寻意义。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据