TED演讲:新美国梦(9)

The "new better off," as I've come to call it,

我所说的“新型安逸生活”

is less about investing in the perfect family and more about investing in the imperfect village,

不是关于维持完美的家庭,而是关于维持不那么完美的村落,

whether that's relatives living under one roof, a cohousing community like mine,

不论是所有亲戚住在同一屋檐下,就像是我的合作居住社区一样,

or just a bunch of neighbors who pledge to really know and look out for one another.

还是几户邻居想要真正了解彼此。

It's good common sense, right? And yet, money has often made us dumb about reaching out.

这都不错,对吗?如今,金钱使我们麻木,不再向他人伸出双手。

The most reliable wealth is found in relationship.

但是最可靠的财富来源于人际关系之中。

The new better off is not an individual prospect at all.

新型安逸生活不是一个人的成功就能达到的。

In fact, if you're a failure or you think you're a failure, I've got some good news for you:

事实上,如果你是个失败者,或者你自认为是个失败者,我有一些好消息给你,

you might be a success by standards you have not yet honored.

也许你没达到成功的标准,

Maybe you're a mediocre earner but a masterful father.

也许你是个普通的上班族,但是在当父亲这方面很有一套

Maybe you can't afford your dream home, but you throw legendary neighborhood parties.

也许你买不起梦寐以求的房子,但是你可以举办众所周知的社区聚会。

If you're a textbook success, the implications of what I'm saying could be more grim for you.

如果你是个标准的成功者,我要说的可能对你来说就是个坏消息。

You might be a failure by standards you hold dear but that the world doesn't reward. Only you can know.

可能你自认为的成功标准别人都不买账,这样你可能也是个失败者,只有你自己知道。

I know that I am not a tribute to my great-grandmother,

这并不是向我的曾祖母致敬

who lived such a short and brutish life, if I earn enough money to afford every creature comfort.

她的生命如此短暂残酷,如果我挣到足够多的钱,让所有人都过上舒适的生活。

You can't buy your way out of suffering or into meaning.

花再多的钱,也不能摆脱痛苦,也不能使人生有意义。

There is no home big enough to erase the pain that she must have endured.

再大的房子也不能抹去她所承受的痛苦。

I am a tribute to her if I live a life as connected and courageous as possible.

如果我的生活尽可能地与他人联系紧密,尽可能勇敢,这才是向她致敬。

大多数美国家长不认为孩子的未来生活会更好,这在历史上还是头一次。记者考特尼·马丁称,不必因此而担忧,而是将此视作一个机遇,定义新型工作方式和新型家庭,注重社区生活和创新能力。她在讲话中说道:“最危险的不是没法实现美国梦,而是去追寻一个连自己都不相信的梦。”这势必在全世界产生共鸣。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据