TED演讲之说什么 不要固执于英语(5)
There are lots and lots of tests of English.
各种各样的英语测试。
And millions and millions of students take these tests every year.
每年成千上万的学生参加这样的考试。
Now you might think, you and me, "Those fees aren't bad, they're okay,"
你会觉得,你和我都这么认为,这些考试价格还是合理的,
but they are prohibitive to so many millions of poor people.
但是数百万穷人却望而却步。
So immediately, we're rejecting them.
所以一开始我们就把他们挡在了外面。
It brings to mind a headline I saw recently: "Education: The Great Divide."
这让我想到我最近看见的一条新闻:“教育:大鸿沟。”
Now I get it, I understand why people would want to focus on English.
现在我明白了为什么人们都关注英语。
They want to give their children the best chance in life.
他们希望给予他们的孩子最好的人生机遇。
And to do that, they need a Western education.
而要达到这个目的,他们需要西方教育。
Because, of course, the best jobs go to people out of the Western Universities, that I put on earlier.
因为,显然最好的工作都让西方大学的毕业生拿走了,就跟我之前说的一样。
It's a circular thing. Okay.
这是个循环。是吧。
Let me tell you a story about two scientists, two English scientists.
让我们告诉你们两个科学家的故事,有关两个英国科学家。
They were doing an experiment to do with genetics and the forelimbs and the hind limbs of animals.
他们在做一个实验,跟遗传学有关,以及研究动物的前后肢,
But they couldn't get the results they wanted.
但是他们无法得到他们想得到的结果。
They really didn't know what to do,
他们有点束手无策,
until along came a German scientist who realized that they were using two words for forelimb and hind limb,
直到一个德国科学家参与后,他发现他们在研究前肢和后肢时用的是两个词,
whereas genetics does not differentiate and neither does German.
而遗传学上并不区分两者,德语也不区分。
So bingo, problem solved.
所以,瞧,问题解决了。
If you can't think a thought, you are stuck.
如果你想不通,就卡住了。
But if another language can think that thought, then, by cooperating, we can achieve and learn so much more.
但是用另外一种语言就可以想通,那么通过合作,我们可以教学相长,受益颇多。
演讲简介:
在TEDx迪拜,资深的英语教师帕特里夏·瑞安提出了一个发人深省的问题,这个独尊英语的世界是否会妨碍其他语言传播优秀的思想?例如,如果一定要爱因斯坦通过托福,这会造成怎样的结果呢?这段演讲热情地捍卫了翻译和分享思想的价值。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴
NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。
详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn
微信:0012133598196