TED演讲:生命中最惨痛的时刻如何造就我们(8)

And I sometimes wonder

有时候我在想

whether I could have found such fulfillment

如果婚姻和孩子

in marriage and children

来得更容易些,

if they'd come more readily,

我是否会找到这样的满足,

if I'd been straight in my youth or were young now,

而如果我年轻时是异性恋,或我还年轻,

in either of which cases this might be easier.

它们会让事情变得简单。

Perhaps I could.

也许我会的。

Perhaps all the complex imagining I've done

也许我做过的所有的复杂事情

could have been applied to other topics.

都可以应用在其他的议题上。

But if seeking meaning

但如果寻求意义

matters more than finding meaning,

比找到意义更重要,

the question is not whether I'd be happier

那问题不是我是不是因为被欺负

for having been bullied,

而更加快乐,

but whether assigning meaning

而是这些被赋予意义

to those experiences

的经历

has made me a better father.

是否让我成为更好的父亲。

I tend to find the ecstasy hidden in ordinary joys,

我常常发现在普通的快乐中躲藏的狂喜,

because I did not expect those joys

因为我不认定这些快乐

to be ordinary to me.

对我来说是普通的。

I know many heterosexuals who have

我认识许多异性恋者他们

equally happy marriages and families,

有着同样快乐的婚姻和家庭,

but gay marriage is so breathtakingly fresh,

但同性婚姻是那么的让人赞叹的新鲜,

and gay families so exhilaratingly new,

同性家庭是那么的令人振奋的新奇,

and I found meaning in that surprise.

而我在这惊喜中找到了意义。

In October, it was my 50th birthday,

10月是我的50岁生日,

and my family organized a party for me,

我的家人为我举办了派对,

and in the middle of it,

在进行到一半时,

my son said to my husband

我的儿子对我的先生说

that he wanted to make a speech,

他想要演讲,

and John said,

约翰说,

"George, you can't make a speech. You're four."

“乔治,你不能演讲,你才四岁。”

"Only Grandpa and Uncle David and I

“今晚只有爷爷和大卫叔叔

are going to make speeches tonight."

和我要演讲。”

But George insisted and insisted,

但是乔治一再的坚持,

and finally, John took him up to the microphone,

终于,约翰把他带到了麦克风前,

and George said very loudly,

然后乔治很大声的说,

"Ladies and gentlemen,

“女士们先生们,

may I have your attention please."

请大家注意一下。”

And everyone turned around, startled.

大家都转过身来,惊呆了,

And George said,

乔治说道,

"I'm glad it's Daddy's birthday.

“我很高兴今天是爹爹的生日。

I'm glad we all get cake.

我很高兴有蛋糕吃。

And daddy, if you were little,

还有,爹爹,如果你还是小孩,

I'd be your friend."

我会做你的朋友。”

And I thought Thank you.

而我想 ( 谢谢)

I thought that I was indebted

我想我甚至对鲍比

even to Bobby Finkel,

都有亏欠,

because all those earlier experiences

应为所有这些先前的经历

were what had propelled me to this moment,

把我带到了现在这一刻,

and I was finally unconditionally grateful

而我终于无条件地感激

for a life I'd once have done anything to change.

这个我一度千方百计想要改变的人生

The gay activist Harvey Milk

一个年轻的同性恋男人

was once asked by a younger gay man

曾问过同性恋运动人士哈维·米尔克

what he could do to help the movement,

他能为这个运动做点什么,

and Harvey Milk said,

哈维·米尔克说,

"Go out and tell someone."

“出去告诉一个人。”

There's always somebody who wants to confiscate

世上总是有人

our humanity,

想要没收我们的人性

and there are always stories that restore it.

但也总是有恢复人性的故事。

If we live out loud,

如果我们活出精彩,

we can trounce the hatred

我们就能战胜憎恨

and expand everyone's lives.

拓宽众人的生命。

Forge meaning. Build identity.

铸造意义,建立身份

Forge meaning.

铸造意义,

Build identity.

建立身份。

And then invite the world

然后邀请世界

to share your joy.

共享你的喜悦。

Thank you.

谢谢。

Thank you. (Applause)

谢谢。(掌声)

Thank you. (Applause)

谢谢。(掌声)

Thank you. (Applause)

谢谢。(掌声)

视频简介:

作家安德鲁·所罗门一生都在阐述关于艰辛的故事。现在他转向自己,带给我们一个充满挣扎的童年,同时简述着他近年来遇见的勇敢的人们的故事。在这个动人,衷心而时而完全幽默的演讲中,所罗门呼吁我们从最大的挑战中找寻意义。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

TED演讲:生命中最惨痛的时刻如何造就我们(8)-SD冠军锦标赛

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴