麦勒迪·霍布森2015南加利福尼亚大学毕业演讲(1)
What a day! I want to send my congratulations to the USC Class of 2015 and all of those who celebrate and champion now!
多好的一天!我要祝贺南加州大学2015届的毕业生们以及所有前来庆祝和支持的人!
Now, I would like to ask the graduates to do something.
此刻,我想请毕业生们做一件事。
I’d like you to look past the rain and look up at the sky.
我想请你们透过这雨往天上看。
Now I’d like you to imagine that you are in a lightweight capsule and it took you two hours to be 24 miles up.
现在我要你们想象一下,自己就在一个轻质的太空舱里,两小时后,你们到了24英里的高空。
Insane, right? The only way that you can get back to earth is to jump.
很疯狂,对吧?回到地面的唯一的办法就是跳下去。
This actually happened in 2012, for parachutist Felix Baumgartner.
这是2012年发生在跳伞运动员费利克斯·鲍姆加特纳身上的真事。
He put himself in this exact situation.
他就曾恰好置身于此等情境中。
He said as he looked out, he could see the curve of the earth as he contemplated his next move.
他说当他看向舱外,思考着下一步该做什么动作时,他看到了地球的曲线。
And if you watch the video, you will hear his ground crew tell him to disconnect the two oxygen supply hoses attached to his pressurized suit.
如果你们看了那段视频,就会听到地勤人员让他断开连接增压服的两条供氧管。
Felix doesn’t move. Moments pass. Then you hear the command again: “Disconnect the oxygen.” So why did Felix hesitate?
费利克斯没有动。几秒钟过后,你们会再次听到这个命令:“断开供氧管!”那么,费利克斯为什么犹豫呢?
Well, I think that most of you know.
嗯,我觉得你们大多数人都知道为什么。
In fact, I would say that sitting 24 miles up is not that different from where you’re sitting here right now.
实际上,我想说的是,在24英里的高空中坐着跟你们现在在这儿坐着没多大分别。
Graduating from college is a major transition. You know that.
大学毕业是一次重大的转折,这一点你们是知道的。
You’re probably feeling eager; you’re excited. And like Felix, you may also be feeling scared.
你们可能觉得迫不及待,感觉很兴奋。就像费利克斯一样,你们可能也感到害怕。
The world may look bigger than it’s ever looked.
世界看起来可能比之前任何时候都大。
And you may feel smaller than you’ve ever felt.
你们可能会觉得自己前所未有地渺小。
But those of you graduating today, you know why Felix hesitated.
但是,今天要毕业的同学们,你们知道费利克斯为什么犹豫。
It wasn’t because he was not brave. It was because you cannot be brave without fear.
不是因为他没有胆量,而是因为有了畏惧才会变得勇敢。
So despite a racing heart, extremely sweaty palms,
所以,尽管心在狂跳,手心狂冒汗,
Felix did disconnect the oxygen and he put his faith in his preparation and his parachute.
费利克斯还是断开了氧气管,相信自己已经准备充分,降落伞也没有问题。
And just like you’re doing today, he jumped into the great unknown.
就像你们今天一样,他跳进了无尽的未知世界中。
麦勒迪·霍布森2015南加利福尼亚大学毕业演讲。