米歇尔·奥巴马2015欧柏林学院毕业演讲(4)
And the truth is, graduates, after four years of thoughtful, respectful discussion and debate here at Oberlin
事实就是,毕业生们,在经过欧柏林学院四年深入的、令人敬佩的讨论和辩论之后,
those seminars where you explored new ideas together,
那些你们共同探讨新想法的研讨会,
those late-night conversations where you challenged each other and learned from each other
那些你们相互挑战相互学习的午夜对话,
after all of that, you might find yourself a little dismayed by the clamor outside these walls
这一切之后,你可能会因为墙外的喧嚣感到沮丧,
the name-calling, the negative ads, the folks yelling at each other on TV.
人身攻击、负面广告、人们在电视上相互喊叫。
After being surrounded by people who are so dedicated to serving others and making the world a better place,
此前,你的身边是一群全心全意为他人服务、致力于将世界变得更美好的人,
you might feel a little discouraged by the polarization and gridlock that too often characterize our politics and civic life.
你可能会因为政治和公民生活中常有的两极化和僵局而感到失望。
And in the face of all of that clamor,
在面对这些喧闹声时,
you might have an overwhelming instinct to just run the other way as fast as you can.
您可能会以一种压倒性的本能尽可能快向反方向逃跑。
You might be tempted to just recreate what you had here at Oberlin
你可能会尝试着重新创建自己欧柏林社区,
to find a community of like-minded folks and work with them on causes you care about, and just tune out all of the noise.
寻找志同道合的人,并与他们一起工作,处理你关心的事业,消除所有噪音。
And that’s completely understandable.
这是完全可以理解的。
In fact, I sometimes have that instinct myself — run!
实际上,有时候我自己也有这种本能–快跑!