TED演讲:我们为什么会对机器人有感情(3)
Well, of course, we’re primed by science fiction and pop culture to really want to personify these things,
不可否认,我们都被科幻小说及流行文化所影响,想要将这些东西拟人化,
but it goes a little bit deeper than that.
但真实情况还有着更深层的含义。
It turns out that we’re biologically hardwired to project intent and life onto any movement in our physical space that seems autonomous to us.
事实表明,我们天生就具有将意图和生活投射到物理空间中,在我们看来能自主行动的任何运动物体上。
So people will treat all sorts of robots like they’re alive.
所以人们像对待活物一样对待各种各样的机器人。
These bomb-disposal units get names.
这些拆弹机器人有自己的名字。
They get medals of honor. They’ve had funerals for them with gun salutes.
它们能获得荣誉勋章。人们为它们举行了葬礼,并用礼炮向它们致敬。
And research shows that we do this even with very simple household robots, like the Roomba vacuum cleaner.
研究还发现,我们即便对非常简单的家居机器人也会这样,比如Roomba吸尘器。
It’s just a disc that roams around your floor to clean it,
它只是一个在你地板上通过旋转进行清理的圆盘,
but just the fact it’s moving around on its own will cause people to name the Roomba
但仅仅因为它能够自己移动,就会导致人们想要给Roomba取名,
and feel bad for the Roomba when it gets stuck under the couch.
当它卡在沙发下时,还会替它感到难过。
And we can design robots specifically to evoke this response,
我们可以专门设计机器人来唤起这种反应,
using eyes and faces or movements that people automatically, subconsciously associate with states of mind.
使用诸如眼睛、面孔或动作,这些人们自动地在潜意识中与心智状态相联系的特征。
And there’s an entire body of research called human-robot interaction that really shows how well this works.
这一整套叫做人机交互的研究显示了这个方法的效果的确非常好。
So for example, researchers at Stanford University found out that
比如,在斯坦福大学的研究者发现,
it makes people really uncomfortable when you ask them to touch a robot’s private parts.
当你叫人们触摸机器人的私处时,他们会感到很不舒服。
So from this, but from many other studies,
从这个以及更多其他研究中,
we know, we know that people respond to the cues given to them by these lifelike machines, even if they know that they’re not real.
我们知道,人们会对这些栩栩如生的机器给他们的线索做出反应,即使他们知道它们只是机器。
机器人伦理学家凯特·达林指出,我们还远无法开发出有感情的机器人,但我们已经对机器人产生了感觉,而这种本能会导致一些后果。通过这个演讲来一起了解我们在生物学上是如何将意图和生命投射到机器上的——以及机器人如何帮助我们更好地了解自己。