TED演讲:女性崛起的新数据(7)

And what’s even more disturbing is what’s happening with younger boys.

更加令人不安的是发生在年轻的男孩子身上的事情。

There’s been about a decade of research about what people are calling the “boy crisis.”

这有一个进行了大约十年的调查,关于人们所谓的男生危机是什么。

Now the boy crisis is this idea that very young boys, for whatever reason,

现在的男生危机是年幼的男生,不知道为什么,

are doing worse in school than very young girls, and people have theories about that.

在学校里表现得比年幼的女生差。人们有关于这件事情的理论。

Is it because we have an excessively verbal curriculum,

是因为我们有过多的语言课程,

and little girls are better at that than little boys?

小女孩在这个方面比男孩做得更好吗?

Or that we require kids to sit still too much, and so boys initially feel like failures?

又或者是我们过多地要求孩子们坐着不动,所以男孩子们觉得很失败?

And some people say it’s because, in 9th grade, boys start dropping out of school.

有一些人说因为在九年级的时候,男孩子开始退学。

Because I’m writing a book about all this, I’m still looking into it, so I don’t have the answer.

因为我在写一本关于这个的书,我仍然在做调查,所以我还没有结果。

But in the mean time, I’m going to call on the worldwide education expert,

但同时,我将呼吁世界级教育专家,

who’s my 10-year-old daughter, Noa, to talk to you about why the boys in her class do worse.

也就是我十岁的女儿,诺亚,和你们谈谈为什么男孩子在他们班表现比较差。

The girls are obviously smarter. I mean they have much larger vocabulary.

女生的确更聪明。我是说她们有更多的词汇量。

They learn much faster. They are more controlled.

她们学得更快。她们更遵守纪律。

On the board today for losing recess tomorrow, only boys.

在今天的黑板上只有男生被罚失去明天的休息时间。

And why is that?

为什么呢?

Why? They were just not listening to the class while the girls sat there very nicely.

为什么?他们不听讲,而女生坐得很端正。

So there you go.

所以你现在知道了。

This whole thesis really came home to me

这个论文

when I went to visit a college in Kansas City — working-class college.

是当我在访问堪萨斯市的一所大学时决定的–一所工薪阶层的大学。

Certainly, when I was in college, I had certain expectations about my life —

当然当我在大学的时候,我对我的人生有非常明确的期望–

that my husband and I would both work, and that we would equally raise the children.

我的丈夫和我都工作,我们平等地共同抚养孩子。

But these college girls had a completely different view of their future.

但是这些大学女孩儿们对她们的未来有着完全不同的看法。

Basically, the way they said it to me is that they would be working 18 hours a day,

基本上,他们对我说的是,他们将一天工作十八个小时,

that their husband would maybe have a job,

他们的丈夫有可能有工作,

but that mostly he would be at home taking care of the kiddies.

但是大部分他们将在家里照看孩子。

And this was kind of a shocker to me.

这对我来说是一个震惊。

And then here’s my favorite quote from one of the girls: “Men are the new ball and chain.”

这个是我最喜欢的一个女孩的话:“男人是新的累赘”

汉娜.罗森回顾了表明女性在某些重要领域超越男性的一些显著的新数据,例如大学毕业率。这些不仅以美国为中心还在整个世界都流行的趋势是否预示着“男性时代的结束”?也许并非如此—但这些表明社会变化的数据值得揣摩。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据