TED演讲之寻找真理:科学可以回答道德问题(14)
A lot of people want to believe in this concept of moral progress.
许多人想要相信道德进步的这个概念
But can you reconcile that?
但是这有可能达到和谐吗?
I think I understood you to say that you could
我想我了解你所说的
reconcile that with a world that doesn't become one dimensional, where we all have to think the same.
不要让世界变得只有一种道德,也不需要大家都只有一种想法
Paint your picture of what rolling the clock 50 years forward,
你可以告诉我们,如果我们快转到50年后
100 years forward, how you would like to think of the world, balancing moral progress with richness.
100年后,你希望我们的世界能如何在道德进步和多元文化中找到平衡
Well, I think once you admit that we are on the path toward understanding our minds
一旦我们承认我们走在解构理性的路上
at the level of the brain in some important detail,
以理解大脑运作的方法
then you have to admit that we are going to understand all of the positive
那么你也必须承认,我们将会更明白
and negative qualities of ourselves in much greater detail.
我们身上的这些正面和负面的特质
So, we're going to understand positive social emotion like empathy and compassion,
我们会理解正面的社群特质,像是同情心、仁爱心
and we're going to understand the factors that encourage it — whether they're genetic,
我们将会了解是怎样的元素,帮助我们有这些特质–无论是基因
whether they're how people talk to one another, whether they're economic systems,
是人们对话的方式,是经济体系
and insofar as we begin to shine light on that we are inevitably going to converge on that fact space.
我们正要开始发现并无可避免的步向这些事实
So, everything is not going to be up for grabs.
我们不能再自由心证
It's not going to be like veiling my daughter from birth
为了得到男人的青睐,就让我刚出生的女儿蒙头
is just as good as teaching her to be confident and well-educated
或是教导她成为一个自信而有教养的女性
in the context of men who do desire women.
是完全不同的两件事
I mean I don't think we need an NSF grant to know that compulsory veiling is a bad idea —
我想我们不需要国家科学基金会特别拨款,才能发现强制女人蒙头很不好
but at a certain point we're going to be able to scan the brains of everyone involved and actually interrogate them.
到了某种程度,我们可以扫描每个人的头脑并研究它们
Do people love their daughters just as much in these systems?
人们真的爱它们的女儿吗,就算在那样的文化下?
And I think there are clearly right answers to that.
我想这些问题是有正确答案的。
演讲简介:
几个世纪来,科学被排拒在善恶对错的问题以外。Sam Harris提出科学不但可以,更应当成为道德问题的准则,为人类设立新人道价值,带领我们走向真正的幸福生活。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。