睡前读首诗 (6)我是怎样的爱你

Sonnets 43 from the Portuguese by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

《葡萄牙人的十四行诗集》第43首,作者:伊丽莎白·芭蕾特·布朗宁

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

我是怎样地爱你?让我逐一细算。

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height

我爱你尽我的心灵所能及到的

My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight

深邃、宽广和高度 — 正像我探求

For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.

玄冥中上帝的存在和深厚的神恩。

I love thee to the level of every day’s

我爱你的程度

Most quiet need, by sun and candlelight.

就像日光和烛焰下,那每天不用说得的需要,

I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;

我不加思虑地爱你,就像男子们为正义而斗争;

I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.

我纯洁地爱你,像他们在赞美前低头。

I love thee with a passion put to use

我爱你,以满怀的热情,就像

In my old griefs, and with my childhoods faith.

往日满腔的辛酸,以我童年的信仰

I love thee with a love I seemed to lose

我爱你,抵得上那似乎随着消失的圣者

With my lost saints, — I love thee with the breath,

而消逝的爱慕 — 我爱你以我终生的呼吸,

Smiles, tears, of all my life! — and, if God choose,

微笑和泪珠 — 假使是上帝的意志,那么

I shall but love thee better after death.

我死后还要更加爱你。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据