马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲(8)

Continue to ask yourself that question. Now your answer may change over time.

不断地问自己这个问题,答案可能随着时间而改变。

That’s fine, but do yourself this favor: Whatever your answer is, don’t choose anything that will jeopardize your soul.

没有关系,但是一定要帮你自己这个忙:不论你们的答案是什么,不要做任何出卖灵魂的事情。

Prioritize who you are; who you want to be.

首先要考虑一下你是谁;你想成为什么人。

And don’t spend time with anything that antagonizes your character.

不要花费时间在任何有违本性的事情上。

Don’t drink the Kool-Aid, man! It tastes sweet, but it will give you cavities tomorrow.

伙计,不要喝“酷爱牌”饮料!那喝起来很甜,但明天会让你长龋齿。

Life is not a popularity contest. Be brave; take the hill, but first, answer the question “What’s my hill?”

人生并非一场声望竞赛。所以要勇敢,要攻占山头,但首先得回答这个问题:“我要的是哪座山?”

So me, how do I define success?

那么我呢,我是如何定义成功的呢?

For me, myself. For me, it’s a measurement of five things.

我自己,对我而言,成功就是对五件事的考量。

We got fatherhood; we got being a good husband; we got my health: mind, body, spirit; we got career; and we got friendships.

做个好父亲;做个好丈夫;心灵、肉体和精神的健康;事业成功;拥有友谊。

These were important to me in my life right now.

这些就是我目前生活中重要的东西。

So, I try to measure these five things each day. I check in with them.

因此我每天都试图考量这五件事。我检查它们。

I like to see whether or not I’m in the debit section or the credit section with each one.

我喜欢看自己在每一项上是处于借方还是贷方的位置。

Am I in the red or am I in the black, you follow?

我是亏欠呢,还是有结余,明白我的意思吧?

For instance, sometimes, say, my career is rolling. It’s way appearing in the black.

例如,有时我的事业进展顺利。这一项看上去是盈余。

But I see my relationship with my wife maybe could use a little bit more of my attention.

但我发现我可能需要多关注一下同妻子的关系。

I gotta pick up the slack on being a better husband; get that one out of the red.

我得紧张起来,做个更好的丈夫;把这一项的欠账补上。

Or say my spiritual health could use some maintenance

抑或我的精神健康需要维护,

it’s down here, but hey man, my friendships and my social life are in high gear. Right?

最近情绪低落,不过我和朋友们的关系以及我的社交生活却高速运转,对吧?

I gotta recalibrate; checks and balances;

我得重新调整,得协调平衡。

I gotta go to church; remember to say “thank you” more often. Something. But I gotta take the tally.

我得上教堂;要记得多说“谢谢”。诸如此类。但我得记账。

Because I want to keep all five in healthy shape, and I know that if I don’t take care of them,

因为我想要这五件事情全都保持良好状态,而且我知道如果我对它们不上心,

if I don’t keep up maintenance on them, one of them is gonna get weak, man.

不及时维护它们的话,它们中的某一项就会变得糟糕。

It’s gonna dip too deep into the debit section. It’s gonna go bankrupt. It’s gonna get sick, die even.

深陷入亏欠的部分里。这会导致破产,会生病,甚至丧命。

So first, we have to define success for ourselves and then we have to put in the work to maintain it:

因此首先我们得为自己定义成功,然后我们得付出努力维护它:

Take that daily tally, tend our garden, keep the things that are important to us in good shape.

每天记账,修整花园,让那些对我们而言重要的东西保持良好的状态。

Let’s admit it. We’ve all got two wolves in us: a good one and a bad one, and they both wanna eat.

不容否认,我们心里都有两头狼:一头好的,一头恶的。它们都想吃东西。

Best I can tell, we just gotta feed that good one a little more than the other one. Here we go.

我能说的就是,我们得给好狼比恶狼多喂点儿吃的。就是这样。

马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据