马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲(17)
No. 9: From can to want.
第九点:从我能到我想。
All right, check this out. 1995 I got my first big paycheck as an actor. I think it was 150 grand.
好吧,来说一下这一点。1995年我获得了当演员以来的第一张大支票,我想那是15万美元。
The film I was on was Boys on the Side, and we’re shooting in Tucson, Arizona,
我出演的那部电影是《潇洒有情天》,我们在亚利桑那州的图森拍摄的。
and I had this sweet little adobe guesthouse on the edge of the Saguaro National Park.
当时我住在萨格鲁国家公园旁边一处舒适的土砖小客房里。
The house came with a maid, my first maid. It was awesome.
房子有一个女佣,我的第一个女佣。真是太棒了。
So, I got a friend over one Friday night and we’re having a good time,
一个周五的晚上,我有个朋友过来,我们过得很愉快,
and I’m telling her about how happy I am with my set-up in the house, the maid, especially, the maid.
我告诉她我对房子里的配置和女佣感到很满意,尤其对女佣。
I’m telling her, “Look, this lady, she cleans the place up after I go to work; she washes my clothes, the dishes;
我对她说:“瞧,这位女士,我上班后她打扫这里,她替我洗衣服和碗碟,
puts fresh water by my bed; leaves me cooked meals sometimes; she even presses my jeans!”
在我的床头放上新鲜的水,有时还给我做好饭,她甚至把我的牛仔裤都熨烫好了!”
And my friend, she smiles at me, happy that I’m excited over this,
我的朋友对我笑着,看我对这些感到兴奋,她很高兴,
and she says, “Well, that’s great Matthew: if you like your jeans pressed.”
她说:“是吗,太棒了,马修:如果你喜欢你的牛仔裤被熨烫的话。”
And I kind of looked up at her, my jaw caught hanging open, stuttered a moment,
我抬眼望着她,嘴巴张得老大,一时间瞠目结舌,
had that dumb ass look you get when you’ve just been told the truth and you didn’t think about it,
脸上的愚蠢表情就是那种你被告知了从未想到过的真相时的样子。
and it hit me: I hate that line going down the front my jeans! I hate that line!
我突然想到:我讨厌牛仔裤的正面有一条褶!我讨厌那条褶!
And it was then, for the first time, that I noticed it.
正是在那一刻,我第一次注意到了这一点。
I’ve never thought about not liking that starched line down the front of my jeans
我从未想过自己不喜欢牛仔裤正面有条浆硬的褶,
because I’d never had a maid to iron my jeans before!
因为以前从未有女佣为我熨过牛仔裤!
And since she did, now, for the first time in my life, I just liked it because I could get it.
如今她既然这么做了,生平第一次有人为我熨烫牛仔裤,我就欣然接受了,只因为我能享受到这些。
I never thought about if I really wanted it.
我从没想过自己是否真的想要这样。
Well, I didn’t want it there, that line. That night I learned something.
好吧,我不想要裤子上有条褶。那一晚我学到了些东西。
Just because you can? Nah, come on. It’s not a good enough reason to do some. Even when it means having more.
只是因为你能?不,才不是。这并不是让你做某事足够好的理由。即便当这意味着你会获得更多东西时,也是如此。
Be discerning. Choose it, because you want it. Do it because you wanna to.
要有识别力。你想要的时候才选它。你想做的时候才去做。
Never had my jeans pressed again. I hate that line.
自那以后我再也不熨烫牛仔裤了。我讨厌那条褶。
马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲