马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲(22)

No. 13: So how do we know when we cross the truth?

第十三点:我们如何知道我们遇到了真理?

Thirteen. Thirteen. Someone was asking why did I pick thirteen, that’s an unlucky number.

十三,十三。有人问我为何要用“十三”,那是个不吉利的数字。

Well, I don’t know when thirteen got the bad rap and become the mongrel of numerology.

好吧,我不知道“十三”是什么时候背上恶名,成为数字命理学中的杂种的。

It’s never done me wrong, thirteen.

“十三”从来没有得罪过我。

In fact, thirteen has been a pretty lucky number for me, and I wanna tell you how.

事实上,“十三”对我来说是个相当幸运的数字,我想告诉你原因。

I’ve always taken these 21-day trips by myself to far off places

我经常独自前往偏远地区进行21天的旅行,

where I usually don’t know the language and nobody knows my name.

在那里,我通常不懂他们的语言,也没人知道我的名字。

They’re adventures, one, but they’re also a purge, all right, they’re a cleanse for me.

这些旅行是冒险,但它们也是一种净化,好吧,它们净化了我。

They’re like a 21-day fast from attention, from all the things I have in my well-appointed life.

它们就像21天的斋戒,让我摆脱关注,摆脱我那按部就班的人生中的所有事情。

They’re a check out, so I can check in with me.

它们就像是登记离开,那样我自己才能再次登记入住。

See how I’m doing, be forced to be my own and my only company, to have a look in my mirror.

看看当我被迫自力更生,独身自处时,被迫看着镜子中的自己时,我过得怎么样。

And we all know what can happen when we do that, sometimes we do not like what we see.

我们都知道我们那样做时会发生什么,有时候我们并不喜欢看到的东西。

Well, in 1996, right after I got famous from a film I did called A Time to Kill,

在1996年,我刚因电影《杀戮时刻》成名,

I headed out on one of this 21-day walkabout, and this time to the jungles and mountains of Peru.

我就出发进行一次21天的徒步旅行,那次是去秘鲁的丛林和山区。

The sudden fame that I’d just gotten was somewhat unbalancing.

一夜爆红使我有点儿失衡。

My face was everywhere; everyone wanted a piece of me; people I’d never met were swearing that they loved me.

到处都能看到我的脸,每个人都想要一张,从未见过我的人发誓他们爱我。

Everywhere I went, there I was, on a billboard, a magazine cover. It was just weird, overall.

无论我去哪儿,都能看到自己,在广告板上,在杂志封面上。整体而言,感觉很怪。

What was this all about? What was reality in this, and what’s the bullshit?

什么情况?真相如何,到底怎么一回事?

Did I deserve all this? These were all questions I was asking myself.

我配拥有这一切吗?这些都是我问自己的问题。

“Who was I?” was another.

“我是谁?”这是另一个问题。

Now, there’s always an initiation period with these trips.

这些旅行总是有一个初始阶段。

An amount of time that it takes for the place to initiate the traveler.

就是旅行目的地引起旅行者兴趣所需要的时间。

The time it takes to disconnect from the world we just left, and become completely present in the one we are traveling in.

是我们切断同刚刚离开的世界之间的联系,并且完全进入我们正在其中旅行的世界所需要的时间。

Now for me, that initiation period usually last about thirteen days.

对于我而言,酝酿阶段通常持续十三天。

Thirteen hellish days until I’m out of my own way.

十三天糟透了的日子,直到我彻底放松了自己。

After that, the whole trip is really fun and smooth sailing.

在那之后,整个旅程就变得真正有趣和平稳。

马修·麦康纳2015休斯顿大学毕业演讲

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据