蒂姆·库克2015华盛顿大学毕业演讲(3)

My heroes in life were Dr. Martin Luther King, and Robert F. Kennedy,

我生命中的英雄是马丁·路德·金博士和罗伯特·肯尼迪,

who had fought against the very things that Wallace stood for.

他们与华莱士的立场针锋相对。

Keep in mind, that I grew up, or, when I grew up,

你需要知道的是,成长的过程中,

I grew up in a place where King and Kennedy were not exactly held in high esteem.

我是在一个金和肯尼迪并不备受尊敬的地方长大。

When I was a kid, the South was still coming to grips with its history.

当我还是个孩子的时候,南方仍然对其历史紧抓不舍。

My textbooks even said the Civil War was about states’ rights. They barely mentioned slavery.

我的课本里甚至说内战关乎国家权利。它们几乎没有提及奴隶制。

So I had to figure out for myself what was right and true.

所以我不得不为自己找出什么是正确的和真实的。

It was a search. It was a process.

这是一种找寻,一个过程。

It drew on the moral sense that I’d learned from my parents, and in church, and in my own heart,

它汲取了我从我的父母、教堂和在我的内心习得的道德观念,

and led me on my own journey of discovery.

引领我走上了自己的发现之旅。

I found books in the public library that they probably didn’t know they had.

我发现了一些在公共图书馆可能不为人知的书。

They all pointed to the fact that Wallace was wrong.

它们都指出了一个事实:华莱士是错误的。

That injustices like segregation had no place in our world. That equality is a right.

在我们的世界不应存在不公和种族隔离。平等是一种权利。

As I said, I was only 16 when I met Governor Wallace, so I shook his hand as we were expected to do.

就像我说的,我遇见华莱士州长的时候只有16岁,所以我按照期望的那样与他握了手。

But shaking his hand felt like a betrayal of my own beliefs.

但是与他握手感觉像是背叛了自己的信仰。

It felt wrong. Like I was selling a piece of my soul.

那感觉很不对劲。就像出卖了一部分自己的灵魂。

苹果CEO库克华盛顿大学致2015毕业生演讲。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据