TED演讲:为什么智能统计数据是打击犯罪的关键(2)
WordPress数据库错误: [Got error 28 from storage engine]
SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS wp_posts.*, yarpp.score
FROM wp_posts join wp_yarpp_related_cache as yarpp on wp_posts.ID = yarpp.ID
WHERE 1=1 AND yarpp.score >= 1 and yarpp.reference_ID = 89943 AND wp_posts.post_type = 'post'
ORDER BY score DESC, wp_posts.ID ASC
limit 10
The second thing that happened is that I spent the day in the Camden, New Jersey police department.
第二件事是我在卡姆登的新泽西州警察局耗了一天。
Now, at that time, Camden, New Jersey, was the most dangerous city in America.
当时,新泽西州的卡姆登是美国最危险的城市。
I ran the Camden Police Department because of that.
我跑了一趟卡姆登警察局就是因为这个原因。
I spent the day in the police department, and I was taken into a room with senior police officials,
我在警察局待了一整天,被带到了一个高级警官待的房间,
all of whom were working hard and trying very hard to reduce crime in Camden.
那里所有人都在努力工作,并很努力的试图减少卡姆登的犯罪活动。
And what I saw in that room, as we talked about how to reduce crime,
在那个房间里,当我们谈到如何减少犯罪,
were a series of officers with a lot of little yellow sticky notes.
有很多拿着小小的黄色便笺的警官。
And they would take a yellow sticky and they would write something on it and they would put it up on a board.
他们会揭下一张黄色便笺,在上面写点东西,然后把它贴在板儿上。
And one of them said, “We had a robbery two weeks ago. We have no suspects.”
其中一个警官说,“我们有一宗劫案发生在两个星期前,但没发现疑犯。”
And another said, “We had a shooting in this neighborhood last week. We have no suspects.”
另一个说:“上周在这附近发生了一场枪击事件,没发现疑犯”。
We weren’t using data-driven policing. We were essentially trying to fight crime with yellow Post-it notes.
我们未曾使用过数据分析来维持治安。我们基本上在试图用黄色便利签打击犯罪。
Now, both of these things made me realize fundamentally that we were failing.
这两件事让我意识到,从根本上说,我们过去一直表现欠佳。
We didn’t even know who was in our criminal justice system,
我们甚至不知道有谁涉及到刑事犯罪,
we didn’t have any data about the things that mattered,
我们没有相关重要事件的任何数据,
and we didn’t share data or use analytics or tools to help us make better decisions and to reduce crime.
我们未曾共享数据,使用分析技术或分析工具,以帮助我们做出更好地判断并减少犯罪。
And for the first time, I started to think about how we made decisions.
我第一次开始思考我们是如何作出决定的。
When I was an assistant D.A., and when I was a federal prosecutor,
当我还是助理地方检察官和联邦检察官的时候,
I looked at the cases in front of me, and I generally made decisions based on my instinct and my experience.
我看着面前的那些案件,我所做出的决定通常是依据我的直觉和我的经验。
When I became attorney general, I could look at the system as a whole,
后来我成为司法部长,我可以全面的观察整个司法系统,
and what surprised me is that I found that that was exactly how we were doing it across the entire system
令人吃惊的是我发现我们的这种做法恰恰适用于整个司法系统,
in police departments, in prosecutors’s offices, in courts and in jails.
警察部门,检察官办公室,法庭和监狱。
And what I learned very quickly is that we weren’t doing a good job.
很快,我了解到我们过去的工作成果并不令人满意。
So I wanted to do things differently.
所以我想做些改变。
I wanted to introduce data and analytics and rigorous statistical analysis into our work.
我想将数据、逻辑分析和严格的统计分析纳入到我们的工作。
In short, I wanted to moneyball criminal justice.
总之,我想在刑事司法上做到点球成金。
当安妮米尔格拉姆2007年出任新泽西州的司法部长之时,很快便发现了某些惊人的事实:她的团队不仅对蹲监狱的人不甚了解,而且也无法确定他们所作的判决是否真正加强了公众安全。因此,她展开了一次鼓舞人心的探索,即将数据分析与统计分析应用到美国刑事司法体系当中。