TED演讲:多元化的自己究竟有多大力量(4)

But reinventing yourself can be very hard. You can face a lot of resistance at times.

但是重塑自己是非常难的。你时常会遇到许多阻碍。

When I was nearly done with my PhD, I got bitten by that entrepreneurial bug.

在我快拿到博士学位的时候,我开始心心念念想创业。

I was in Silicon Valley, and so writing a thesis in the basement didn’t seem as interesting as starting my own company.

我当时在硅谷,在地下室写论文无趣极了,跟自己开公司没法比。

So I went to my very traditional Korean parents, who are here today,

因此我去找我那非常传统的父母,他们今天也在现场,

with the task of letting them know that I was going to drop out from my PhD program.

我想告诉他们我打算放弃自己的博士学位。

You see, my siblings and I are the first generation to go to university,

事实上,我和我的兄弟姐妹是第一代上大学的人,

so for a family of immigrants, this was kind of a big deal.

而对于一个移民家庭来说,这是件大事。

You can imagine how this conversation was going to go.

不难想象这次对话会变成什么样。

But fortunately, I had a secret weapon with me,

但幸运的是,我有秘密武器,

which was a chart that had the average income of all of the graduates from Stanford PhD programs,

那是一张图表,上面展示的是斯坦福博士毕业生的平均收入水平,

and then the average income of all the dropouts from Stanford graduate programs.

还有从斯坦福退学的人的平均收入水平。

I must tell you — this chart was definitely skewed by the founders of Google.

我必须得说,这张图表的数据分布绝对发生了偏移,因为谷歌的创始人们。

But my mom looked at the chart, and she said, “Oh, for you — follow your passion.” Hi, Mom.

但是我妈妈看着那张图表,对我说,“哦,我支持你!追随你的激情吧。”谢了,妈妈。

瑞贝卡·黄的一生都在不停地切换身份–在韩国出生,在阿根廷长大,在美国上学–长久以来,她甚至无法找到一个可以称之为老家的地方。在这个充满挑战的过程中,她有了一个关键的认识:多元化的背景在今天这个全球化的世界中是一个明显的优势。在这个关于她自己的演讲中,黄分享了接受复杂身份所能带来的众多好处,以及她希望建立一个新世界的愿望,在那里身份不再让人们彼此疏离,而是互相靠近。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据