TED演讲:谈乌鸦的智慧(2)

And in doing so, we were breeding them for parasitism.

为了做到这点,人类用喂养的方式来让它们寄生于我们。

We were giving them all sorts of reasons to adapt new ways.

我们给了动物们适应新环境的各种理由。

So, for example, rats are incredibly responsive breeders.

比如:老鼠的生育能力变得超强。

And cockroaches, as anyone who's tried to get rid of them knows, have become really immune to the poisons that we're using.

而蟑螂,逮过蟑螂的人都知道,它们已经不在乎我们的“诱饵”了。

So I thought, let's build something that's mutually beneficial; something that we can both benefit from,

于是我想,为何不制造出一些能让我们人类和这些“寄生虫”共同受益的东西呢?

and find some way to make a new relationship with these species.

从而让人类找到一条与其共处的新路子。

So I built the vending machine.

这就是我制作动物专用自动售货机的理由。

But the story of the vending machine is a little more interesting if you know more about crows.

不过如果你多了解一下乌鸦,这个自动售货机的故事会更有趣。

It turns out, crows aren't just surviving with human beings; they're actually thriving.

乌鸦们不仅仅是在人类环境中‘生存’得不错–事实上,他们活得还很精彩。

They're found everywhere on the planet except for the Arctic and the southern tip of South America.

你在地球上任何一处角落–除了两极和南美至南端–都可以见得到乌鸦。

And in all that area, they're only rarely found breeding more than five kilometers away from human beings.

通常它们的栖息地离人类居所不出5公里。

So we may not think about them, but they're always around.

虽然你也许不会想到这一点,可是它们确确实实一直都这么活在我们身边。

And not surprisingly, given the human population growth, more than half of the human population is living in cities now.

这也不奇怪,我们的地球上人口暴涨,其中有半数以上居住在城市。

And out of those, nine-tenths of the human growth population is occurring in cities.

除此之外,90%的人口增长就都发生在城市里。

We're seeing a population boom with crows.

乌鸦这个种群也在经历同样的发展。

So bird counts are indicating that we might be seeing up to exponential growth in their numbers. So that's no great surprise.

所以鸟类的数量在我们看来将会有一个爆炸型的增长,这并没有什么奇怪的。

But what was really interesting to me was to find out that the birds were adapting in a pretty unusual way.

但令我感到吃惊的是,这些鸟儿竟然学会了通过一些奇特的方式在我们的社会里求得生存。

And I'll give you an example of that. This is Betty. She's a New Caledonian crow.

大家看看下面的例子:它的名字是Betty,它是一只New Caledonia(北美地名)的乌鸦。

And these crows use sticks in the wild to get insects and whatnot out of pieces of wood.

在森林里,它们会用树枝从林木里挑出虫子和其他食物。

Here, she's trying to get a piece of meat out of a tube.

此时它正尝试用铁线取出瓶子里的那块肉。

But the researchers had a problem. They messed up and left just a stick of wire in there.

但是研究者们遇到了一个问题。他们把试验搞砸了,因为只留下了一根线在那里。

And she hadn't had the opportunity to do this before. You see, it wasn't working very well. So she adapted.

而Betty以前可没尝试过这样的挑战。你可以看到,它进行得并不顺利。于是它想出了一个新法子。

作为一名黑客和作家,Joshua Klein对乌鸦们的智慧感到神奇。他在很长一段的业余时间里对乌鸦群的行为进行观察后,想出了一个堪称优雅的机器,这或许将在人类与动物间构建一种新的关系。

NSDA认证项目/全国英语演讲大赛/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn
微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据