TED演讲之说什么 谈语言和思想(11)

The simplest example of this is in the polite request.

最简单的例子出自于礼貌的要求

If you express your request as a conditional — "if you could open the window, that would be great"

倘若你用一个条件句表达请求:“您要是能开一下窗子就太好了,”

even though the content is an imperative, the fact that you're not using the imperative voice

尽管内容是祈使句,仅仅因为你没有用祈使语态

means that you're not acting as if you're in a relationship of dominance,

就显示出你并没有按照一种支配的人际关系行事

where you could presuppose the compliance of the other person.

你并没有假设他人必须服从

On the other hand, you want the damn guacamole.

可另一方面,你想要那个该死的鳄梨沙拉酱

By expressing it as an if-then statement,

用一个“如果—那么”巨型,

you can get the message across without appearing to boss another person around.

你把意思说清楚了,却不会让人觉得你在指使他

And in a more subtle way, I think, this works for all of the veiled speech acts involving plausible deniability:

我认为这样挺微妙,效果也不错,种种含蓄的言行保留了拒绝的可能:

the bribes, threats, propositions, solicitations and so on.

贿赂、威胁、提议、恳请等等

One way of thinking about it is to imagine what it would be like

有一种理解方式就是想象

if language — where it could only be used literally.

当语言只能表达字面义

And you can think of it in terms of a game-theoretic payoff matrix.

你可以把它当作博弈论中的得失矩阵来思考

Put yourself in the position of the kidnapper wanting to bribe the officer.

把你放在那个想贿赂警官的绑匪的位置上

There's a high stakes in the two possibilities of having a dishonest officer or an honest officer.

全部的赌注都压在这两种可能性上:警官不老实或者他是老实人

If you don't bribe the officer, then you will get a traffic ticket

假如你不贿赂他,你得吃罚单

or, as is the case of "Fargo," worse — whether the honest officer is honest or dishonest.

或者,就像《冰风血》中的情况一样,那更糟。不管那个警官到底老实不老实。

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. In that case, the consequences are rather severe.

爱拼才会赢。这种情况下,后果很严重

On the other hand, if you extend the bribe, if the officer is dishonest, you get a huge payoff of going free.

换一方面,你要是掏出钱来,如果警官吃贿赂,你全身而退,讨了个大巧。

演讲简介

在他所著《思想的实质》的独家新书介绍会上,史蒂芬·平克探讨了语言如何表达内心的思想–以及我们的遣词用句中透露出多少鲜为人知的信息。

NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲/美式辩论赛 诚招省市合作伙伴

NSDA认证项目SDcamps全国英语演讲大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招部分省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA赛事。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。
具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

详情咨询:
赛事科技 陈老师:1369315零贰88/010-62701156;Email:xuhl@sdcamps.cn

微信:0012133598196

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据