TED演讲之说什么 语言如何改变人类(7)

Well, we chose the second option, and language is the result.

我们选了第二条路,语言就是产物

Language evolved to solve the crisis of visual theft.

语言的进化解决了观察性窃取的危机

Language is a piece of social technology for enhancing the benefits of cooperation

语言是社会技术用于加强合作的益处

for reaching agreements, for striking deals and for coordinating our activities.

达成共识,买卖交易以及协调活动

And you can see that, in a developing society that was beginning to acquire language,

你可以看到,处于发展中形态的社会刚刚开始习得语言

not having language would be a like a bird without wings.

还没有完全掌握就像一个没有翅膀的鸟儿

Just as wings open up this sphere of air for birds to exploit,

就像翅膀之于鸟儿扇动空气去探索天空

language opened up the sphere of cooperation for humans to exploit.

语言之于人类开启合作来探索未来

And we take this utterly for granted, because we’re a species that is so at home with language,

我们以为这是理所当然,因为我们是纯熟掌握语言的物种

but you have to realize that even the simplest acts of exchange that we engage in are utterly dependent upon language.

但是你应当意识到,甚至我们最简单的交换行为也完全依赖于语言

And to see why, consider two scenarios from early in our evolution.

为了弄清为什么,请假想进化早期的两个场景

Let’s imagine that you are really good at making arrowheads,

假设你擅长制造箭头

but you’re hopeless at making the wooden shafts with the flight feathers attached.

但是完全不会制造嵌着飞羽的箭杆

Two other people you know are very good at making the wooden shafts,

你知道另外两人擅长制箭杆

but they’re hopeless at making the arrowheads.

但他们不会造箭头

So what you do is — one of those people has not really acquired language yet.

那么,那两人中一个还没真正学会使用语言

And let’s pretend the other one is good at language skills.

另外一个熟练语言技巧

So what you do one day is you take a pile of arrowheads,

有一天你带了一堆箭头

and you walk up to the one that can’t speak very well,

去找那个不太会说话的人

and you put the arrowheads down in front of him,

你把箭头放在他面前

hoping that he’ll get the idea that you want to trade your arrowheads for finished arrows.

希望他明白你想用箭头交换做好的箭

But he looks at the pile of arrowheads, thinks they’re a gift, picks them up, smiles and walks off.

但他看着一堆箭头,以为是礼物,就捡起来冲你一笑就走了

Now you pursue this guy, gesticulating.

你追上他连比带划地解释

A scuffle ensues and you get stabbed with one of your own arrowheads.

结果打起来了,被他用你自己的箭头捅伤了

Okay, now replay this scene now, and you’re approaching the one who has language.

好的,现在再重复这个场景,你去找有语言的那个人

You put down your arrowheads and say, “I’d like to trade these arrowheads for finished arrows. I’ll split you 50/50.”

你放下箭头说,“我想用这些跟你交换做好的箭,我们对半分”

The other one says, “Fine. Looks good to me. We’ll do that.” Now the job is done.

那人说:“没问题。就这么办。”交易做成了。

演讲简介

生物学家马克·佩格尔与我们分享了一个关于人类如何发展复杂的语言系统的有趣理论。他认为,语言是一种社会技术,它帮助人类早期部落获得了一个强有力的新工具:合作。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据