TED演讲:树木之间如何交流(4)

The first day of the experiment, we got out to our plot

实验的第一天,我们来到了实验地点,

and a grizzly bear and her cub chased us off.

突然一头灰熊和她的熊宝宝出现,把我们赶跑了。

And I had no bear spray. But you know, this is how forest research in Canada goes.

然后我还没带防熊喷雾剂。但你知道吗,在加拿大做森林研究其实就是这样的。

So I came back the next day, and mama grizzly and her cub were gone.

所以第二天我又回来了,灰熊妈妈和熊宝宝没在。

So this time, we really got started, and I pulled on my white paper suit,

这一次我们可以真正开始实验了,我穿上我的白纸套装工作服,

I put on my respirator, and then I put the plastic bags over my trees.

带上呼吸器,然后给我的树都罩上了塑料袋。

I got my giant syringes, and I injected the bags with my tracer isotope carbon dioxide gases, first the birch.

我拿出我那些大注射器,往袋子里面注入了含有示踪同位素的二氧化碳气体,首先是纸皮桦。

I injected carbon-14, the radioactive gas, into the bag of birch.

我往罩纸皮桦的袋子里面打入了有放射性碳14的气体。

And then for fir, I injected the stable isotope carbon-13 carbon dioxide gas.

然后是花旗松,我往他们的袋子中注射了含有稳定性同位素碳13的二氧化碳。

I used two isotopes, because I was wondering whether there was two-way communication going on between these species.

我用了两种同位素,因为我不知道这两种树之间的交流是否是双向的。

I got to the final bag, the 80th replicate, and all of a sudden mama grizzly showed up again.

当我走向最后一个袋子时,也就是第80棵样本,突然间那头灰熊妈妈又出现了。

And she started to chase me, and I had my syringes above my head,

然后她开始追我,我把我们的那些注射器举过头顶,

and I was swatting the mosquitos, and I jumped into the truck,

扑打着周围无数的蚊子,然后跳上了卡车,

and I thought, “This is why people do lab studies.”

然后我想,“这就是为什么人们喜欢在实验室做实验的原因吧。”

I waited an hour. I figured it would take this long for the trees to suck up the CO2 through photosynthesis,

我等了一小时。我觉得这个时间差不多可以让那些树通过光合作用吸收二氧化碳,

turn it into sugars, send it down into their roots,

转换生成糖,再把糖送到它们的根,

and maybe, I hypothesized, shuttle that carbon belowground to their neighbors.

然后也许,我也是猜测,把那些碳元素从地下传给它们的邻居。

三毛说“如果有来生,要做一棵树,站成永恒,没有悲伤的姿势:一半在尘土里安详,一半在空中飞扬;一半散落阴凉,一半沐浴阳光。非常沉默非常骄傲,从不依靠从不寻找。”但是你知道吗?其实大树并不沉默。在地下存在着另外一个世界,它们使得无数的大树可以彼此交流,一片森林表现的像一个整体。它们是如何做到的呢?来一起且听树语。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据