TED演讲:树木之间如何交流(3)

Trees in real forests might also share information below ground.

在真正的森林中,树木可能还会在地下交流信息。

But this was really controversial, and some people thought I was crazy,

但这个想法其实挺有争议的,一些人觉得我疯了,

and I had a really hard time getting research funding.

所以我筹集科研经费的那段日子真的很艰难。

But I persevered, and I eventually conducted some experiments deep in the forest, 25 years ago.

但我坚持了下来,而且我最终在森林的深处成功做出了一些实验,那是在25年前。

I grew 80 replicates of three species: paper birch, Douglas fir, and western red cedar.

那时我种了三种树,一共80棵:有纸皮桦、花旗松和西部红杉。

I figured the birch and the fir would be connected in a belowground web, but not the cedar.

我认为纸皮桦和花旗松在地下的网络中应该是能交流的,但是西部红杉应该是不行的。

It was in its own other world.

西部红杉比较“与世隔绝”。

And I gathered my apparatus, and I had no money, so I had to do it on the cheap.

我收拾起我的设备仪器,我那时没钱啊,所以我决定得省着点。

So I went to Canadian Tire — and I bought some plastic bags and duct tape and shade cloth,

所以我去了加拿大轮胎公司——我买了一些塑料袋、一些布基胶带和遮光布,

a timer, a paper suit, a respirator.

一个计时器、一件纸套装和一个呼吸器。

And then I borrowed some high-tech stuff from my university:

然后我又从我的大学借了一些高科技的东西:

a Geiger counter, a scintillation counter, a mass spectrometer, microscopes.

一个盖革计数器、一个闪烁计数器、一个质谱仪和几个显微镜。

And then I got some really dangerous stuff:

然后我又拿了一些非常危险的东西:

syringes full of radioactive carbon-14 carbon dioxide gas

几支充满了放射性碳14的二氧化碳气体的注射器,

and some high pressure bottles of the stable isotope carbon-13 carbon dioxide gas.

和几个高压气瓶,里面充满了稳定性同位素碳13的二氧化碳气体。

But I was legally permitted.

不过我这么做是合法的哦。

Oh, and I forgot some stuff, important stuff: the bug spray, the bear spray, the filters for my respirator.

哦对了,我还忘说了几样东西,很重要的东西:喷雾杀虫剂、防熊喷雾剂和我呼吸器的过滤网。

三毛说“如果有来生,要做一棵树,站成永恒,没有悲伤的姿势:一半在尘土里安详,一半在空中飞扬;一半散落阴凉,一半沐浴阳光。非常沉默非常骄傲,从不依靠从不寻找。”但是你知道吗?其实大树并不沉默。在地下存在着另外一个世界,它们使得无数的大树可以彼此交流,一片森林表现的像一个整体。它们是如何做到的呢?来一起且听树语。

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据