TED演讲:疯狂的科学家用苹果做出了耳朵(4)
What I'm really curious about is if one day,
我真正好奇的是会不会有一天,
it will be possible to repair, rebuild and augment our own bodies with stuff we make in the kitchen.
人们有可能修复、改造、强化我们自己的身体,用到的只是我们厨房里的材料。
Speaking of kitchens, here's some asparagus.
好,说到厨房,这是一些芦笋。
They're tasty, and they make your pee smell funny.
它们很可口,不过会让你的尿液有股怪味。
Now, I was in my kitchen, and I was noticing that when you look down the stalks of these asparagus,
有一次,我在我的厨房里发现,当你观察芦笋茎秆那一端(的截面),
what you can see are all these tiny little vessels.
你会看到这些细小的导管。
And when we image them in the lab, you can see how the cellulose forms these structures.
而当我们在实验室里观察它们时,你会发现纤维素是如何形成这些结构的。
This image reminds me of two things:
这张图让我想到了两样东西。
our blood vessels and the structure and organization of our nerves and spinal cord.
我们的血管和我们的神经和脊髓的结构组织。
So here's the question: Can we grow axons and neurons down these channels?
那么问题来了:我们能否沿着这些通道,培植神经轴突或神经元呢?
Because if we can, then maybe we can use asparagus to form new connections
如果我们可以实现,也许我们就能用芦笋来形成全新的节点,
between the ends of damaged and severed nerves.
连接损伤或切断的神经末梢。
Or maybe even a spinal cord.
或者甚至可以是脊髓。
Don't get me wrong — this is exceptionally challenging and really hard work to do,
不要误会–这非常具有挑战性,而且极其难操作,
and we are not the only ones working on this.
并不是只有我们正在研究这方面内容。
But we are the only ones using asparagus.
但只有我们在使用芦笋。
Right now, we've got really promising pilot data.
如今,我们已经取得了,具备可行性的实验数据,
And we're working with tissue engineers and neurosurgeons to find out what's actually possible.
正在和人体组织工程师以及神经外科医生合作,来找出其中的可能性。
安德鲁·佩林是一位生物学黑客,而大自然就是他的“硬件”。他最喜欢的原料总是那些最简单的(他经常在废物里寻找材料)。依靠维持苹果形状的纤维素结构,他“培植”出栩栩如生的人耳,开拓了一个新的领域,也许将来有一天它们就能被用来安全廉价地修复人体部位。
NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。
我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。