TED演讲:大爱无疆 爱本无条件(7)

In the time since that Atlantic Monthly story ran,

自从大西洋月刊刊载了那片文章以来,

the life expectancy for people with Down syndrome has tripled.

唐氏综合征患者的寿命增加了两倍。

The experience of Down syndrome people includes those who are actors,

唐氏综合征的人有些是演员,

those who are writers, some who are able to live fully independently in adulthood.

作家,有些在成年后能完全独立生活。

The Robards had a lot to do with that.

罗巴兹夫妇的贡献很大。

And I said, Do you regret it?

我问他们:你们会遗憾吗?

Do you wish your child didn't have Down syndrome?

你们希望自己的孩子没有唐氏综合征吗?

Do you wish you'd never heard of it?

是否希望从未听说过这种病症?

And interestingly his father said,

有趣的是这位父亲说,

Well, for David, our son, I regret it,

嗯,从我们的儿子大卫角度来看,我感到遗憾,

because for David, it's a difficult way to be in the world,

因为对于大卫来说,这个世界里唐氏患儿的路走得非常艰辛,

and I'd like to give David an easier life.

我想要给大卫更轻松的生活。

But I think if we lost everyone with Down syndrome, it would be a catastrophic loss.

但我认为,如果世界上不再有唐氏症患儿,会是很大的损失。

And Karen Robards said to me, I'm with Tom.

凯伦罗巴兹说:我同意汤姆的看法。

For David, I would cure it in an instant to give him an easier life.

为了让大卫活得更自在,我会想瞬间治愈他的唐氏综合症。

But speaking for myself-well, I would never have believed 23 years ago when he was born that I could come to such a point speaking for myself, it's made me so much better and so much kinder and so much more purposeful in my whole life,

但对我来说,23年前他刚出生时,我绝不相信-我能走到今天这一步,对我来说,他的病让我成为更好,更善良的人,让我的人生更有意义,

that speaking for myself, I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world.

对我来说,这样的经验是世界上任何其他东西都换不来的。

We live at a point when social acceptance for these and many other conditions is on the up and up.

现代社会对这样那样的病症的接受程度越来越高。

And yet we also live at the moment when our ability to eliminate those conditions has reached a height we never imagined before.

然而,此时此刻我们治愈这些病症的能力,也已经达到一个前所未有的高度。

Most deaf infants born in the United States now will receive Cochlear implants,

现在美国新生的耳聋婴儿都会接受人工耳蜗植入手术,

which are put into the brain and connected to a receiver,

将人工耳蜗植入大脑并连上接收器,

and which allow them to acquire a facsimile of hearing and to use oral speech.

通过接收信号,这让他们具有听说的能力。

养育一个和你有本质差异的孩子(他/她可能是神童,残疾人或罪犯)有着怎样的感触?在这个平和且感人至深的演讲中,作家安德鲁·所罗门分享了他和诸多父母的交谈:关于无条件的爱和无条件的接纳之间的那条线。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据