Twitter创始人Jack Dorsey演讲 :对实时数据的狂热

When I was growing up,

虽然我已经长大

But it was still a joy and a wonder to me.

我还是对它很好奇,觉得它很有趣

You had skyscrapers and

它具有摩天大楼

you had all of this hidden energy.

和所有这些隐藏的能量

Just walking around,you could feel something different.

就随便走走,你都会觉得不同

That sort of love and

这种爱和

that obsession was made most tangible by maps.

和困惑因为地图变得的更加实际

I became obsessed by maps and looking at them.

我对地图感到困惑,开始研究它们

I bought every Rand McNally and

我买了每个兰德麦克纳利导航仪和

every single map that I could find.

每张我能找到的地图

I would put them in my room and

我会把它们放在我房间里

hang them all over the walls and just

挂满整个墙

look at them and wonder

只是看着它们,想

what was happening at this particular intersection

这个十字路口发生了什么事

or in this area or

或是这个地区

how to get down this road most efficiently.

怎样最快走到这条路

My parents didn't know

我的父母不知道

what to make of it but I loved it.

地图有什么用,但我痴迷于它

In 1984-1985 we got the first Mackintosh

在1984年到1985年,我们买了第一个苹果电脑

and an IBM PC Junior.

变成了一个IBM的计算机青年

I really wanted to play more with maps.

我特别想多研究地图一下

I wanted to see them.

我想看它们

I wanted to alter them more

我想去改变它们

and do it on the computer screen.

在我的电脑上改变它们

So, I taught myself how to program because I wanted

所以,我自学怎样编程,因为我想

to learn how to draw a map on the screen.

学习怎么在屏幕上画一张地图出来

And then, I accomplished that.

之后,我成功了

It was very, very basic and very simple.

我画了一张很基础很简单的地图

And then, I put some dots on the map.

接着,我在上面画上了很多小点

And then, I learned how to move the dots around.

接着我学会了怎样移动这些小点

Then, the next challenge was

接下来的挑战是

to figure out how to keep the dots

想办法让这些点固定在

on the streets because

街上,因为

they were going all over the place.

它们总是不停地移动

And then, I had all these dots moving around

接着我让这些点在这张

this beautiful picture of this map,

漂亮的地图上动来动去

which represented downtown St. Louis and

让它们展现出圣路易斯市中心的景象

then later represented New York City,

之后表示出了纽约城

which I was amazed by.

这让我很惊奇

The issue was that none of the dots

问题是,这些点

had any meaning whatsoever.

都没有任何意义

They're just random dots moving around this city.

它们只是随机的点,在城市里移动

My parents had a CB radio

我父母有个汽车对讲电话

and they had a police scanner.

并且有个警用扫描仪

And what was happening

警用扫描仪的作用

on the police scanner was really interesting

非常有趣

because you had ambulances

因为救护车

and fire trucks and police cars constantly

和消防车,还有警车不断地

reporting where they are and what they're doing.

汇报它们的所在地和它们所做的事

So, I'm at Fifth in Broadway in New York City.

它们会说我在纽约城里的百老汇街五号

I have a patient in cardiac arrest and

我这里有个心脏停跳的病人

we're going to St. John's Mercy.

我们正在去医院的路上

And I could take that information,

我得到这条信息之后

type it up into a program,

将它输入程序里

make some assumptions about speed and direction

假设它们的速度和方向

and what routes they're going to take and actually

以及它们应走哪条线路

watch the ambulance go to St. John's Mercy.

就能看到救护车进入圣约翰医院

Then, I could hook up another ambulance and a taxicab,

接着我可以联接另一辆救护车和出租车

a police car, a fire truck.

警车和消防车

The more and more of this I did,

我做这些做得越多

the more I learned how to automate more of it

就了解更多怎样让它们自动化的方法

because the Internet was just coming up.

因为互联网出现了

We had Gopher and St. Louis, Missouri,

我们有Gopher查询系统,而且密苏里州的圣路易斯

has a school named Washington University,

有所华盛顿大学

which was one of the first backbones for the Internet.

它是网络的第一批支柱之一

So, we had a pretty good connection to the BBS systems,

所以我们有一个很好的BBC网络系统

the bulletin board systems, back then.

就是电子布告栏系统

I found all these databases of this information,

我发现了这些信息的数据库

although this was after the fact.

尽管这有点事后诸葛亮

But it was still interesting to watch and to see unfold

但是看着这些事物一点点展开非常有趣

So, now I had this picture of real-live data

现在我得到了现实的城市里

of a real-life city operating in front of me.

现实生活的数据就在我面前运转

And I just thought it was the most beautiful

我就是觉得这是最美好的东西

thing ever that I could visualize,

我能看到

a city living and breathing.

整个城市在生活,在呼吸


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据