总统就职演说:美国8任总统马丁·范布伦就职演讲(1)

What can be more gratifying than such a retrospect as this?

有什么能比如此的回顾更让人心悦?

We look back on obstacles avoided and dangers overcome,

我们看到以往的障碍已被避免,危险被克服。

on expectations more than realized and prosperity perfectly secured.

看到期望不仅仅被实现,繁荣也完全得以保证。

To the hopes of the hostile,the fears of the timid,

对于敌人的妄想,懦夫的惧怕,

and the doubts of the anxious actual experience has given the conclusive reply.

和虑者的疑惑事实经历已作出完满的答复。

We have seen time gradually dispel every unfavorable foreboding ,

我们已看到时间逐渐排除每一个不利的预兆。

and our Constitution surmount every adverse circumstance dreaded at the outset as beyond control.

并且,我们的宪法克服了那些在当初被认为是我们所无能为力而畏惧的每一个不利处境。

Present excitement will at all times magnify present dangers,

当前的兴奋将在任何时候增大当前的危险。

but true philosophy must teach us that none more threatening than the past can remain to be overcome;

但真正的哲理一定会告诉我们,没有比以往更有威胁性的仍要去克服;

and we ought (for we have just reason)to entertain an abiding confidence in the stability of our institutions and an entire conviction that if administered in the true from,

并且我们应该保持对我们的机构的坚定信心,并深信只要以其创建时的真正形式,

character,and spirit in which they were established they are abundantly adequate to preserve to us,and our children the rich blessings already derived from them,

特点和精神来管理,它们将完全足够为我们,和我们的儿女保证那以往由它们所带来的丰富祝福。

to make our beloved land for a thousand generations that spot where happiness springs from a perfect equality of political rights.

并把我们可爱的土地变成因完全平等政治权利而充满幸福的之处而持续千秋万代。

For myself,therefore,I desire to declare that the principle that will govern me in the high duty to which my country calls me is a strict adherence to the letter,and spirit of the Constitution as it was designed by those who framed it.

而我自己,我想宣布,那些将在我的祖国召唤我的这崇高职责上指导我的原则,必须严格依照,如同其构造者所设想的宪法的文字和精神。

Looking back to it as a sacred instrument carefully and not easily framed;

我们回头把它看作一个仔细而艰难构造的神圣工具。

remembering that it was throughout a work of concession and compromise;

牢记它经过一个让步和妥协的过程;

viewing it as limited to national objects;

把它看为仅限于国家事宜;

regarding it was leaving to the people and the States all power not explicitly parted with,

认为它留给人民和各州所有不能明显分开的权力,

I shall endeavor to preserve,protect,and defend it by anxiously referring to its provision for direction in every action.

我将努力通过在每一行动中,急切地参考其条款来寻求方向,来维持,保护和守卫它。

To matters of domestic concernment which it has intrusted to the Federal Government,

我将以极度热心投入到那些委托给联邦政府的国内事务,

and to such as relate to our intercourse with foreign nations I shall zealously devote myself;

[以及我们同外国交往有关的事务中;

beyond those limits I shall never pass.

而我将决不逾越这些界限。

To enter on this ocasion into a further or more minute exposition of my views on the various questions of domestic policy would be as obtrusive as it is probably unexpected.

在此时进一步详细叙述我对各种国内政策的观点将显得冒失而可能意外。

Before the suffrages of my countrymen were condferred upon me I submitted to them,

在同胞们把参政权授予我之前,

with great precision,my opinions on all the most prominent of these subjects.

我已经非常准确地向他们提供了我关于这中间所有最显要的问题的观点。

Those opinions I shall endeavor to carry out with my utmost ability.

我将努力尽我所能来实施这些观点。

Our course of foreign policy has been so uniform and intelligible as to constitute a rule of Executive conduct which leaves little to my discretion.

我们的外交政策路线是如此一致和清晰,以至其所构成的行政行为规则留给我很少斟酌余地。

unless,indeed,I were willing to run counter to the lights of experience and the know opinions of my constituents.

除非我真地想同历史教训及我的选民的意愿背道而驰。

We sedulously cultivate the friendship of all nations as the conditions most compatible with our welfare and the principles of our Government.

在和我们的福利和政府原则最协调的条件下,我们勤勉地培养同所有国家的友谊。

We decline alliances as adverse to our peace.

我们谢绝对我们的和平有损的联盟。

We desire commercial relations on equal terms,

我们渴望平等条件下的商贸关系。

马丁·范布伦(Martin Van Buren,1782年12月5日-1862年7月24日),美国第八任副总统(1833年-1837年)及第八任总统(1837年-1841年),他是《美国独立宣言》正式签署后出生的第一位总统。祖籍荷兰,是第一位荷兰裔美国总统。1821年,范布伦当选为美国参议员,后又担任第十一任纽约州州长。安德鲁·杰克逊总统第一任时,范布伦进入内阁任国务卿。1832年范布伦被提名为克逊的副总统(第八任美国副总统),并于1835年被提名为总统候选人。1836年,范布伦击败辉格党(现共和党前身)的四名对手,当选为总统。四年后竞选连任未成。后来又两度参加竞选,皆遭到失败,从此退出政坛,影息故乡。1862年7月24日,他于肯德胡克附近自己的庄园中去世。1962年历史学家投票排名:马丁·范布伦在31位总统中排名第17位;在12位“普通总统”中排名第6。他排在门罗之上,塔夫脱之下。

1837年3月4日,范布伦出任美国第8任总统。选举结果使他认识到,反对派的实力是强大的,胜利者必须保持谦虚和冷静的头脑,所以在就职典礼上,他尽力使杰克逊成为人们欢呼的对象,而自己却以守成者的面目出现。范布伦上台时,整个美国正处在繁荣和平静的状态。可是两个月以后,一场经济大恐慌迅速席卷了全国。经济恐慌所引起的严重萧条造成了人民生活窘迫,社会秩序动荡。范布伦把危机的主要原因归于美国的银行制度。他致力于维护国家和政府的偿付能力,反对在美国增设新的银行,禁止把政府的资金投放到州银行,为建立一个处理政府收支的独立的财政制度而奋斗。


NSDA“SDcamps”全国英语演讲与辩论大赛(大学组)/SDcamps全国中小学生英语演讲与辩论大会(中小学及幼儿组)/美式辩论赛(以下简称大赛/大会)现诚招全国省市合作伙伴或城市合伙人,共同进行推广NSDA赛事品牌、举办赛事及培训活动、开展素质教育、美式营地项目等多方面合作。

我们希望认同NSDA理念,有赛事组织经验,或有教育资源,特别是有理想有热情的机构或个人一起携手,共同推广NSDA品牌、赛事及素质教育。以机构的形式,或以城市合伙人的方式均可。具体的赛事组织、盈利模式,欢迎电话或微信咨询。

微信:0012133598196

详情查看:NSDA(全美演讲与辩论联盟)赛事活动诚招全国各城市合作伙伴

发表回复

您的电子邮箱地址不会被公开。 必填项已用*标注

此站点使用Akismet来减少垃圾评论。了解我们如何处理您的评论数据